What's going on with Roon's "Most Played" albums?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64)
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
8GB DDR4 2666 MHz
Roon Server Version 1.7 (build 610) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

UniFi Security Gateway 3P > UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W > Cat 6 Ethernet > Roon Server PC
UniFi Security Gateway 3P > UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W > (3x) UniFi AP-AC-Pro Access Points > WiFi > Roon Clients

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord Hugo 2go (RAAT)

Description Of Issue

I’m fairly new to Roon, so bear with me.

I have only listened to about half of the tracks on the Leonard Cohen (Live in London) album, a couple I’ve listened to twice. I’ve listened to the entire Creeper (Sex, Death & The Infinite Void) album twice and one or two tracks 3 times. It doesn’t make any sense to me that Leonard Cohen, Live in London is my 4th most listened to album. What gives?

BTW, the top 3 make sense at least.

It’s based off total time so if you listened to a 2 hour opera cd once, and a ramones 30 !minute album 3 times, the opera cd will be most played over the ramones

1 Like

Thank you for clearing it up. That said… why!? How does that make sense? Most Minutes Listened != Most Played, at least not to a human.

Can’t answer as I’m not a Roon employee and don’t have that info. I will say i argued that criteria years ago.

My opera example is indeed the one I used since it bit me. I played a 4 1/2 hour wagner opera once, and was shocked when it was higher ranked than albums I’d played multiple times.

It took awhile to knock it off the top slot, lol.

I guess it makes sense, time spent listening to a particular album could be considered the most listened to, it’s just not intuitive or what a person would expect. Generally, if you really enjoy an album you listen to it repeatedly and that would make it “Most Played”.

It’s the reverse to how Last.fm sees things, which always irked me. If for instance you listened to an album with 6 tracks on it 3 times and an album with 20 tracks on it once, the top artist and album would be the 20 track one. This to me also seems counterintuitive so I think I prefer the Roon logic. I guess no system is perfect (unless you could specify in settings how it would work!)

Hello @tretneo,

I wanted to confirm that this is expected behavior, please see the following thread for more information:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you @noris, while not intuitive the explanation and methodology does make sense.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.