What's Needed to Set Up a Dedicated Streamer

I’m currently using Roon + Tidal + Qobuz + HDD from a older but well-spec’ed laptop, and streaming this to a couple of RPi-4Bs using RoPieee (I’ve also tried Audirvana, Silent Angel VitOS, and Volumio, and I am running a piCorePlayer/LMS/Squeezelite setup - I’m exploring).

I would like to completely off-load all the streaming from my laptop, which is a pretty busy daily-driver, to a dedicated set up. Just a box, sitting somewhere, all on it’s own, streaming media.

What do I need? What are the pieces and parts? And how does this get done as cost-effectively as possible. As I understand it, an RPi-4B isn’t enough to run a Roon Core?

I’ve looked at NAS and Intel iCore processor NUC options. I’ve perused inexpensive, used, small desktop computers.

Would just some Intel i3, i5, or i7 NUC - or equivalent - with an attached hard drive do it? Just install Roon Core on this, stream it to the RPis, and all is good to go?

Thanks.

Yep, you have it right. Buy a used NUC from somewhere to keep the cost down, or just get a cheap computer. How powerful it has to be depends on how much DSP you want to do.

I saw this a month ago, may still be available.

1 Like

If space and noise aren’t an issue, I use a big tower type desktop, as long as it has an SSD

CPU RAM depends on your library size mine is 6000 albums , i7, 16gb RAM

1 Like