What's the point RAAT vs DLNA?

All I know is I can stream wirelessly 5.1 with DLNA and with Roon I cannot. And since I believe 5.1 is the emerging go to for audio, Roon should be able to offer both. Keep the RAAT and add DLNA for us old folks who like choices. Like Tidal vs. Qobuz; MQA vs. not MQA. Roon’s almost stubborn approach to this subject may soon cost them a customer.

1 Like

Roon supports 5.1. Not sure about wirelessly but I use Roon for my DVDAs and SACDs.

I think you believe incorrectly about 5.1 Bill. 5.1 music has been and gone. I got that tee shirt 12 years ago and a lot less multichannel music is being produced today than back then. That said, if it is supposed to work then it is reasonable to expect that it should and on that point I do agree. However I ditched the notion of wireless connections I while back because Roon was less stable for me using it.

1 Like

I didn’t see someone already point this out so thought I’d chime in…
Many DACs do upsampling internally. Many DACs do very poor upsampling internally. The way to “fix” this is upsample everything to the sweet spot of the DAC. This takes some experimentation but will only take you about 10-20 mins of testing.

Turn on Headroom Management as well as “Show clipping”. Leave at -3
Turn on Sample Rate Conversion and play with all the combinations of settings using your favorite 16/44.1 track. General rule is to stay at 2x to begin with. Here’s more info on the various settings https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Sample_Rate_Conversion

If you find your 16/44.1 track improves then use those settings and re-verify with other tracks. If you don’t like what it’s doing then turn everything off. You may find your DAC does a fine job with the 16/44.1.

If you do leave upsampling on you can go back to headroom and adjust that a bit. Make sure your Signal Path light is not blinking red. If it is go from -3 to -4 or, basically, give yourself more headroom.

Very good insights and hands on advice, I like that and will certainly try it out!