When I start Roon Core I get this message the first time

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7 Windows 10 Pro, latest updates, AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB Ram

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Hardwired gigabit ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Rasberry Pi 4 Roon Bridge, Topping D50s DAC

Description Of Issue

When I start Roon the first time after I reboot I get this message. get a message “There was an issue loading your database…” when I close and restart it then takes me to login screen. I don’t mind starting twice, but hate having to log in every time lol.

I thought it was perhaps because the hard disk where the music is perhaps had not spun up in time for the error, but I have tested and made sure the hard disk is spinning, and I still get the error.

Hi @Tuckers,

Can you please use these instructions to send me a set of your Roon logs? I’d like to take a look at them, if you have any issues accessing or sending just let me know!

Yes, I have sent them to you.

BTW - That messages almost always indicates a corrupted library.

Hope you’ve been taking backups. You’re going to need one.

Hi @Tuckers,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I took a look through them, but I am not noticing any typical corruption traces, although that error message you saw should only be displayed in instances of corruption.

Do you by any chance have any backups of your Roon database? It would be a good step to start Roon fresh and try restoring from a backup:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Restore from backup at least a week before this issue started
  • If you do not have any backups from previous, using the fresh database is the next best option (use the steps above except for restoring the backup)

Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

If I reinstall will I lose my DSP Presets? Is there anyway to back those up?

Providing you have taken a backup after you created those DSP presets, then they will be held in the backup, and thus preserved when you restore that backup.

Hi @Tuckers,

@Geoff_Coupe is correct, if you have any Roon Backups from before this issue occurred, it would be restored after.

You could also take a few screenshots of your current DSP values to be extra safe, in case there are any issues with restoring the backup.

Hi,
So I did a bunch more testing with the drive. The drive was a NAS large capacity storage drive (10 TB). It goes to sleep if not accessed in 10 minutes. And these drives take a few seconds to spin up (maybe 5 seconds or more in my experience?) when they are accessed again. It took me a while to determine when the drive was in sleep mode, but I did find a reliable way. When the drive is in sleep mode and I start Roon, it will 100% of the time throw this error. Closing Roon and restarting will fix the problem (though I have to re-login to Roon at that point.) This is because the drive will be spun up by this time.

I thought this would be valuable info for Roon to have for future issues.

I moved all my music to a 2TB SSD drive, changed the path in the storage settings, and now Roon opens fine. You can close this support post.

1 Like

Hi @Tuckers,

Thanks for letting us know the solution here!

Do you mind letting us know the exact model/manufacturer of this drive in case we get similar reports?

The drive is Western Digital 10TB WD Red NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD100EFAX

I suspect that Roon needs to wait a few more seconds for it to get a response from the drive before it sees it as an error.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.