When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

Yeah, I was surprised it updated. I never gave permission for the update and suddenly I read 1.5.

Anyone know what “updated MQA library” means? Seems all MQA files are now 192 kHz and 16 or 24 bits when playing from Tidal.

They’ve been upgrading automatically since I got them. Nothing in the app to set manual only.

That’s backend stuff - the coding library, not a music library.

Thanks. To make it a bit more clear for me, it’s the decoding/unfolding of MQA files?

And the KEF’s up or downsample MQA to 192/24 or 192/16?

It’s even more backend than that - just communication between different bits, a slightly updated api etc. As far as I’m aware we won’t be doing anything sampling wise to MQA outside of what MQA does.

Thanks Ben, I just ask because MQA through Roon or iFi gives different sampling rates than Kef.

Odd. I have KEF Connect do a manual check for updates nearly daily in the vain hope that it will enable Roon Ready. As recently as yesterday it was still showing 1.3. Today without my checking it went to 1.5.

I never saw 1.4 even though the release notes show 1.4 as having come out in January.

To be honest, a couple of days ago I started doing research on going back to separates.

I think 1.4 came out, but was pulled back since it bricked some units.

1.4 was the fix for the handful of units that were affected during the 1.3 update. 1.3 was the one that was suspended.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying.

Are we right to hope for 1.6 in April ?

Yes, at the very latest end of April. Scroll up and you can read Ben’s statement, next to that I shared a quote from a response I got from KEF. It’s a clear indication that this is general info within KEF that’s allowed to be shared with us users.

You’ll be able to use Roon before you’re vaccinated. I’m willing to put some money on that.

April’s the ETA,

I am vaccinated. How much money were you thinking about? :wink:

Haha. It was actually for the Frenchman in Amsterdam.

1 Like

Same. I want in on that $$ too!

Anyone else not able to upgrade to 1.5? I got my pair today with v1.2 pre-installed. But app keeps telling me no update available… @Ben_Hagens any thoughts? I’ve seen I ‘could’ update through the web-interface as well, but would require the file itself. Thanks.

As the update kicked in automatically at some point in time, there’s a chance this could also happen to you. Maybe tomorrow morning it changed!

1 Like

That’s an odd one. A long shot, but if you can, maybe try with LS50WII cabled directly into your router? Just trying to think of easy things to try.

Either ways, pop a log through the app (in the settings tab), and that will filter through to your local customer service team. They’ll be in a much better position than I to assist.

No luck. I did send a request to the customer service team, hopefully they can come back with an answer soon.

My first ever experience with KEF is far from positive so far after buying an expensive speaker set:

1. First few weeks after purchase no connection with LG oled tv (was fixed with 1.3/1.5)
  2. One speaker stopped working after 4 weeks, had to wait for 5 weeks for a new set.
  3. New set won’t update to the latest firmware version, hence still no use with my tv
  4. No customer service available in the Netherlands, only a webform where with a bit of luck you get an answer after 2(!) weeks.

KEF really need to get their sh*t together: asking a premium price for a mediocre product and service.

Sent you a PM, Rene.