When will Nucleus v2 be available?

There is “no” physically larger SSD – this is purely for 15mm spinning hard drives (HDD).

If an SSD exists at a height of 15mm, it is an outlier you probably don’t want. Most are 7mm.

@danny I was not clear. By larger I meant storage capacity greater than 4 TB. In another thread on this site, I think you gave the OK to some SSDs that are a bit over 7TB. The reason this matters is that I think I can hold my entire collection, including all my CDs, once rip them, for some time. With this approach, I will not have to stream from my iMac via a shared drive. Make sense?

Right now (August 2019), in 2.5" form factor, there are a few 4tb SSDs at 7mm tall. There is a single 2.5" 5tb Seagate that is 15mm tall. Anything bigger is fake or weird. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will stick with 4TB that will hold me for a bit. I am still going to go internal SSD (what we have been talking about) because my impression is that it will be better sonically (perhaps only marginally so).

Or enterprise. In which case it’s not fake or weird, but stupid expensive.

Can you explain why you prefer to have your music on an SSD in the Nucleus device?

I have my music on a SSD in my Nucleus. Why? 1) One less box in my AV cabinet. 2)No moving parts for better sound. 3) Simple.

1 Like

What do you mean one less box? I mean putting a conventional disc inside the Nucleus.I understand point 2 (though not sure if its audible), and its 1 I dont understand?

If I didn’t have my music on a SSD, I’d either have a USB drive connected to the Nucleus or a network attached device on the network. In those cases, those are extra boxes that I don’t need if I put a SSD in the Nucleus.

1 Like

I know Roon can not take a position about which brand SSD to use, but I would appreciate comments from others. After reading Roon documentation, these pages, and some product reviews, it seems like a Samsung SSD 860 EVO, meets the requirements of size. Any thoughts?

oh we can do that… :slight_smile:

the Samsung EVO 860 is great

4 Likes

Thanks very much. I will order one today.

There are several strings on this site on what I have below. If there is a better one and you want me to move this, just let me know:

Since this will be a write once drive and I will incrementally copy files from my iMac to it as I acquire them, I don’t need to back it up. But…

The issue will be CDs I rip to the SSD. I was told ripped CDs to a Nucleus only work from disks (internal SATA or usb) tied to the nucleus. There was some ambiguity about whether being able to write from the Nucleus to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disks on Macs applied for internal SATA disks. If this issue is only for USB disks and not for the internal SATA disk, and I copy the files to my iMac could I restore them in the event of the SSD failure — without having to change the file system format of the iMac SSD. Correct?

I don’t get quite understand what you are saying.

Steps:

1. Buy the 4tb SSD
  2. Plug the SSD into the Nucleus
  3. Boot up
  4. Format it from the web UI (not optional)
  5. Rip CDs

It will do the right thing.

I am sorry for being unclear.

If I do those 5 steps, can I drag the folder that contains the ripped CDs on the Nucleus to a folder on my iMac disk formatted the usual way Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Drag? You mean copy? The “folder” on the Nucleus internal drive is just a network folder, nothing special about it. You can do whatever you want with it from your Mac. The iMac’s disk format is irrelevant.

Thank you very much. There have been discussions that lead me to believe otherwise. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

1 Like

I completely agree with Craig on the front LED for mostly the same reasons. It could also be a logo like Naim, and say Roon or Nucleus.

1 Like

I used to head up an Advanced Development Group for a major HDD company. Let me just say, that its a pretty tough problem to keep up with Moores Law. Based on my experience, I only use SSD’s for music and astronomy. I have six of them in use. Reliability is the main reason. Knock on wood, I have never had a SSD fail.

I have six of these or the Samsung EVO 850’s/960’s in use. Been very good.

Just had a 256gb SSD fail in my wife’s Windows desktop after about 6 years of use… luckily I had backups.

Writes are the big issue for “wear”, so SSDs are great for music storage – but electrical failure is always possible.