When will we see improvements in Roon Genre functionality?

Thanks for getting in touch. I am obviously not our CEO, but I am the CTO, and I am responsible for the product as well as the support team, and I am the person best qualified to address your concerns.

The Genre Settings to “NOT Use Roon’s Genres” does not work in my system. Roon still keeps showing me Roon’s genres. Is that a bug or is it to do with my system? Please don’t ask me to send you basic screenshots. I have set the settings appropriately.

@support – this needs to be investigated by the QA team. If something is broken, developers need a ticket in to fix it.

When I use Genres from the main menu, it does not give me the track from the album that meets that Genre. It gives me the ENTIRE album. SAY WHAT? Even Linn’s Kazoo (which I used to use) can do this. How can I tell which track in the album is the Genre I am looking for? Is this a bug or current functionality or a user error on my part? Please clarify.

Roon’s data model does not work like other software. That is where a lot of our more advanced/unusual capabilities come from, but there is also a learning curve sometimes. Genre is an album or artist level field in Roon. We do not keep track of it at the track level.

This was a conscious design choice, made by studying the quality/quantity of track vs album level genre data available in file tags and other sources in the real world and considering where it came from. We are not planning to change this.

The idea of a single static user manual is outdated, and does not work for software that undergoes continued release/improvement. We don’t plan to write one. The choice to go with a knowledge-base approach was carefully considered, and it is something that we maintain/improve constantly, both as the software changes, and as we discover areas where people are frequently in need of more detailed documentation.

If there are specific pages you’d like to see enhanced, or areas that need more coverage, please make a post in #support so that we can address it.

This is simply untrue. There are 7 people-- @eric, @ivan, @mike, @dylan, @noris, @john, @vova dedicated to support and QA who man this site. It’s over 1/3 of our total staff.

If it is a bug, fix the bug where Roon still keeps showing Roon’s genres even after it’s deselected.

This will be investigated

Get rid of Roon’s own genre system. Currently, it only solves the problem of novice music listeners who do not have an opinion about genres. If you don’t want to do that, please fix #1.

When we studied the problem, we found that only a few % of people have anything even resembling a clean/consistent genre structure in their file tags, and of course ripping out our genre system means that TIDAL content would have no genres. This would greatly harm the experience for most people, so we’re not going to do it.

Enable user import through Excel up to three levels (or even two levels for goodness sake!) of the user’s genres.

Make it easy for us to change the (user’s) genre hierarchy. If we need to re-import the Excel spreadsheet (see #3), so be it. I have found it so hard to change Roon’s Genre hierarchy. See #2.

Please post this in the #roon:feature-requests area. If these ideas get enough traction, we will make them a priority.

For the love of all music lovers everywhere, enable us to identify the track for the Genre we select, or show me how to do it if I am doing something wrong.

As I said above, we have no plans to change this.

13 Likes