Where are Roon ARC downloaded files stored locally on mobile Android devices?

+1 to this.

If someone could inform us where ARC keeps downloaded files on android that’d be great.

Would be helpful for various reasons from manual copying (trying to download a ~1TB library takes ages especially when downloads seem to pause not long after the phone locks, meaning you have to keep it on and arc active. Not ideal for OLED displays…) to google drive syncing

2 Likes

I don’t know if this helps much but the files seem to be saved somewhere within the ARC app and are inaccessible from elsewhere

They are kept in the app specific storage, I think. Meaning other apps can’t use the files and they go away on a reset reinstall.

Hi all, it would be really very handy, if the downloaded files were stored anywhere else and it should be any path that one can configure. For example an external SD-Card as the available space on the device itself might be to few.

I just had to stop using Rune Arc because the download functionality doesn’t allow this transparency. Since Arc in offline mode doesn’t let you use any of the search functionality and the downloaded files can’t be accessed any other way but a very static list in “downloads” I have to use another player to have any sort of functionality while out of service ranges or on planes. If Arc allowed transparency into the local files I could at least point the other app to those files for when I need.

1 Like

Roon will not disclose download folder in your smartphone because you can easily use Roon Arc app with any music files located in your smartphone storage. Instead Roon wants you to get the albums directly from Roon library forcing you to keep your subscription active.

The purpose of Roon ARC is to be able to use your Roon library “on-the-go.” Of course, you need an active Roon subscription to do that. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you don’t have an active Roon subscription, there are plenty of music apps you can use. However, those other apps cannot access your Roon library. Roon is a “for profit” business.

EDIT: Roon ARC is a mobile playback app. Do your editing in Roon.

I might suggest the functionality that’s of more use (and drives subscriptions) is the playback software and less the sync’ing software. At least for my purposes! The sync via Roon ARC doesn’t give nearly the control I’d like. For example you can sync a playlist, but then not remove elements of that playlist. It’s very all-or-nothing, which is odd given how they more often facilitate functionality based on multiple data points.

1 Like

Not the case iOs doesn’t give you access to files for pretty much most apps. PlexAmp is no different for its downloads to Roon. Arc is an extension of your Roon library it is not an independent library tool itself, nor an app for local music. It’s never been designed or marketed as such. It’s to listen to to the Roon library you already subscribe to. They will need to be stored in a specific way for the app to link them back to the core properly and keep tags on it all. Opening the storage place up, opens it up for users to completely cock things up easily and cause more support issues. Whilst I get some users feel they want the files on device to be open to other apps this isn’t the right approach for Roon.

100% I think the most accurate response so far, very good points! I just wish there was a way to open up that freedom to cock it up if you wanted to. Granted, unlikely. And, to be honest, I was a little annoyed they wouldn’t just say that in the webinar, and instead redirected and refused to answer.

Oh well! Will await better download/sync management or continue to use other solutions for local phone playback.

2 Likes

please read my comment again - if I use Roon ARC I AM forced to use roon library. I’m aware of other players or options - no reminders required

You’re not forced to do anything. ARC is purely remote access to your Roon database and not a standalone music app. Nothing to with licensing it’s what users asked for an app that allows them access to their curated Roon library away from home. That’s what it achieves to users of Roon at no extra cost. As I said above it was never conceived as anything else and why would it, Roon isn’t about managing music files you happen to have on the phone.

sure. have a nice day. bye.

Of course you are. That’s what Roon ARC is, a link to your Roon library. Why would Roon give you a free app for any other reason?

Nothing is free, relax… I pay for Roon service. Bye.

It’s just a fact that the whole purpose of the ARC app is to give you remote access to the Roon library/core. You may well like it to be something else, but it just isn’t. You can find a #feedback:feature-suggestions post to vote on or create a new one

What I tend to do is just download a selection of playlists to my phone. I have 512gb internal storage which can store a good few thousand Flac files.

The only purpose of having the ability to download is so you can still listen to music in areas with poor 4G/5G coverage.

For the most part I love being able to work on my playlists and discover new music on the go using my actual core database. Its so much easier than rating music etc. on a seperate app and then waiting until you get home to update the Playlists in Roon.

Depends on your use case I guess.

Why not? They are YOUR music files, why should they be hidden?

1 Like

If you want to know, why don’t you just plug your phone into your pc and sort by folder size (preferable in Total Commander).