Where do I start?!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.2.1, Roon 1.8(756)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Virgin Hub 3, over WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Buchardt A500 with Platin steep hub connected over WiFi. 4 Sonos play 1, also WiFi.

Description Of Issue

All sorts of issues! Roon on MacBook often freezes and stops playback. When it does it also seems to interfere woth my internet connection and no internet pages load unless I close Roon down.

Roon app on iPhone also generates the sameproblem. Hard to know which is cause. Audio cuts in and out regularly and sometime cuts out altogether and then freezes.

Doesn’t seem to happen with any particular endpoint. Seems to have got worse over the last few weeks to the point where Roon is unusable. I have deleted my data base and done a full Re install. No joy.

Help. My free trial comes to an end soon and I’m not paying for this!

I’m not part of the support team, but firstly I’d suggest you plug the Mac into your router using Ethernet and test playback on the Mac. If all is fine it suggest using your Wi-fi is an issue.

Could be the issue, yes. I’ve not connected to my router by internet for years though! Don’t actually have the means to with my current MacBook.

I find it hard to believe that wifi can cause these issues. But I will give Ethernet a go and report back.

For what it’s worth I bet you could get a trial extension or re-trial if you asked nicely once you have things hooked up by Ethernet.

As you’ll see looking around, you can run core on many things, but the closer you can get to a ROCK/NUCLEUS plugged directly in to your router / core switch, with all endpoints plugged in to a wired connection, the less likely you are to experience brown-outs or black-outs. Roon, by dint of what it’s doing, is a network resource glutton - and so for some of us, network running has been part of making everything work. For me it’s been worth it. 2 ROCKs (in 2 separate homes) and a fair bit of networking kit and wiring later, I’d still do it again. But you may not be up for that…

1 Like

From the Roon Labs Knowledge Base…

"## For all networks

No matter what your network setup is like, there are important factors to keep in mind to ensure you are getting the best out of your Roon experience:

• Your Roon Core should always have a wired connection
  • If your library is stored elsewhere on the network, always ensure that both your Core and storage location are using a wired connection. Avoid WiFi between your Core and media storage at all costs.
  • Avoid connecting high resolution/high performance audio devices to Roon via WiFi to ensure optimal performance.
  • A wireless connection from your remote device to your Core is perfectly acceptable and expected in most cases."
1 Like

Wifi can cause many issues. A wired ethernet connection is much more stable. That is why Roon Core always should have a wired connection.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

Got a NUC. Connected to Ethernet. Now no problems. Except those that all other Roon 1.8 uses chat about :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.