Where to best use Ethernet?

Wouldn’t suggest it to a renter.

Judging from the thread, it doesn’t seem like the OP is a renter.

1 Like

16/44.1 no problem, but when you start pushing the hi-res files, problems happen. The are endless threads blaming the Roon program for what is usually determined to be a flaky network or underspec-ed computer equipment. If you have a solid network, Roon performs flawlessly. People need to understand the equipment needs to meet minimum specifications or issues will occur.

I tried a dual-network setup one time. I DO NOT recommend it.

I won’t labour the point here, but I have zero issues with heavy DSP or anything like that, but that is specific to my case. YMMV.

I think that OP’s question has been answered - if he can only wire one, it should be the core. I think that is something we can all agree on.

Thank you. That’s all I was wondering. I’m a renter. I’m not running cables through walls. I totally understand that in an ideal set up, both are hardwired. But in my situation with gear placement it’s going to have to be just 1 of the 2. Currently everything is on WiFi and I have no dropouts at all. But I want to make sure I’m getting the best quality I can for my situation. It seems Consensus Is that the core would be more beneficial for the Ethernet line.
Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

That’s also the Roon recommendation.

Well the proof is in the pudding as the saying goes…if the wifi to the endpoint is problematic then you know what you need to do next…you can run an ethernet cable up to 100M so run it around the skirting edges and over doorways with some blueback if you have to if the wifi isn’t doing it for you.

It just does not work this way because both your computer and your end output device will not be online this way. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.