Which Android tablets will run Roon Remote app

New to Roon and found out that the Remote App will not run on my 2 IOS iPad 2’s. So I am looking for a 10" or larger tablet that will run Roon Remote and nothing else.

Any suggestions? Amazon has a few sub $100 tablets, but I would like to know if they will run the app:

KingPad K100 10 inch Quad Core Android Tablet PC, 1GB RAM 16GB Nand Flash, IPS Display 1366x768

Astro Tab A10 – 10 inch Tablet, Octa Core, Android 5.1 Lollipop, 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash, HD IPS Display 1280x800

Dragon Touch X10 10-Inch 16GB Octa Core Tablet with 5.0 MP Camera and Android 5.1 Lollipop

I am assuming that the type of tablet will NOT effect the sound that is streaming from the NAS.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

The specs required are in the Knowledge base. iPad Air 2 is a good choice from Apple I’m told.

Hi Peter,

Some information here.

Cheers, Greg

No, unless you want to stream music TO the tablet since Android allows you to listen from the tablet itself, or stream to the tablet and then from the tablet to a bluetooth speaker. What is mandatory is a high resolution. Roon Remote needs at least a good display, at least 1440 x 900 Resolution. Which is why the ones you’ve listed would not be a good fit.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2S 9.6", it is a great tablet. I would use 1920 x 1080 as a resolution minimum when searching for a Tablet, or you can go with one of those on the list in the link provided by @Greg.

Thanks, all. If I have to spend a bit more, I will get the iPad Air 2, was just trying to go cheap. Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

IPhone 5S and above is workable too…small to navigate but also use the iPad Air 2 as my interface of choice…can always try the apple refurbished site for a warranted unit

Using my iPhone 6 now, but have ordered the iPad Air 2 9.7" screen. Thanks for the advice.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I think it’s iPhone 5S and higher, not 5C.

Cheers, Greg

Happy to stand corrected … seems I recalled 5c wrongly perhaps

I have the 5C and was disappointed that it wasn’t included. Oh well.

Cheers, Greg

Thought I would post here rather than starting a new thread. I’m looking at an Android tablet - do these specs look good for running Roon Remote?

Android 5.1 Lollipop
Qualcomm APQ8009 processor
Quad-core
1.33 GHz
2GB RAM
16GB storage
10.1" 1280x800 screen

Running great on an ASUS ZenPad 3S 10. Phew!

Google Pixel C here, if you want a BIG tablet - runs very well.

1 Like

Saw a Virgin Telly Tablet (terrible name) in a second hand shop today (UK) and thought that that Roon would look great on it (I mostly use a tablet for viewing what’s playing from my sofa).

Anyone tried it? Looks like a poor mans iPad Pro (ie pretty good). If it can keep a stable connection to Roonserver I think I’ll get one.

Amazon’s Fire HD10 is a good roon remote and was recently on sale for $100 ($150 normally with ads). You have to load Google play store on it, Google it, not that hard then download Roon app. 10" HD Fire can only be used in Landscape mode but works just fine. BTW it has a 1080P screen.

Update- Just went to Amazon and it is back to $149 and listed as out of stock until Dec 20th, Guess they sold a few at $99

You ever get short dropouts, stutter? I seem to.

Hoping that list gets updated…it is almost 2 years old. Or am I missing something?

No, but I don’t use the zenpad as an endpoint - only as a remote, so the zenpad isn’t doing any processing or routing of the music signal.

Ok. I seem to get a bit of stutter when using it as an endpoint. Thanks

Same here (Pixel C) . Mine has been idle since getting the Pixelbook, but going to pin Roon as a standalone app for remote purpose when home from vacation. seems like a perfect use case now.