Which hardware only for streaming

Good morning, I have a Naim ND5XS2 and I’m considering of using Roon to stream music from Qobuz.
I don’t have local library, I will only us it for streaming and I’m wondering if using ROCK on Intel device will improve my experience with Roon for only streaming or if it will be exactly the same if I install Roon Core on a Macbook or PC ?
The ROCK or the PC/Macbook will be connected to the Naim streamer network by Wifi or RJ45

If ROCK is better for this use than a PC or a Macbook, does a Intel NUC i3 is good for only streaming or do I need a i7 ?

Thanks for your help

Hi Vincent,

A PC or a Mac running Roon Core will work just fine.

A NUC running ROCK has the advantage of being a “set and forget” solution. It will update all by itself and you’ll be sure there won’t be any problems with operating system updates like there have been with MacOS a few times.

A NUC i3 will be fine for streaming Qobuz.

Use RJ45 connections if you can. Some users have problems with Wifi.

Enjoy.

Hi Frank,
Thanks a lot for your help and advices

And what do you think about using a Raspberry Pi to run ROCK ?
I read that it’s not powerful enough, but perhaps it changed
What do you think about that ?

Sorry for these questions but I’m not really confident with computer

Thanks

A pi can’t be used as a roon server.
If you want to save some cash buy a nuc 2nd hand.

You specifically asked if running Roon on a NUC will improve your experience. I think it will be the best experience possible now and in the future. Not necessarily better or worse but certainly consistent.

Ok, thanks for your answer
I tried to find a second hand Nuc 10 here in France, it’s not really easy
We find a lot of 6 to 8th generation but not 10th

Ok, thanks @Henry_McLeod

You don’t need a 10th. The 8th generation would be fine.

Ok thanks for the information
I was looking for a 10th generation because of what is written here https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

They are reccomending the most up to date but supported are

1. We have worked with Intel to support its Intel NUC line of products. They are low power high performance easy to install units that work very nicely as a Roon Core Server. The models we support are:

2. NUC5i3xxx

3. NUC5i5xxx

4. NUC6i3SYx

5. NUC6i5SYx

6. NUC7i3BNx

7. NUC7i5BNx

8. NUC7i7BNx

9. NUC7i3DNx

10. NUC7i5DNx

11. NUC7i7DNx

12. NUC8i3BEx

13. NUC8i5BEx

14. NUC8i5BEx

15. NUC8i7BEx

16. NUC10i3FNx

17. NUC10i5FNx

18. NUC10i7FNx

thanks a lot

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.