Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

I can understand why you would like a more extended hf response. IIR can sound a little bit dull in the hf. But the tonality and the organic midrange is excellent. For example, I now can’t listen to a violin with anything other than IIR. Very recommended for a R2R dac.

2 Likes

Interesting, I havent tried IIR and I have an R2R

Be sure to report back what you think, IIR does make sense to sound good on a ladder DAC since you’ll benefit from the lack of pre ringing and hf roll off.

I feel that. That’s where I’m at with sinc-m and a schiit multibit dac, which I think benefits from the apodizing and extended high frequencies.

Really wish some other manufacturers would make some pseudo-ladder dacs with these types of ICs. I think there’s serious end-game potential there and would love to see what other implementations people come up with.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Do you run HQP on a separate computer?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Do you run HQP on a separate computer?

I run a OCed 7700k right now, ASMD7EC + DSD256 + ext2 is possible and stable as long as you don’t to to much else on the computer. Not as fast as newer CPUs obviously, but considering its a 7:th gen you realize that Intel has not exactly done any big leaps in performance the last 5 years.

1 Like

I also like IIR sometimes, very soft and laid-back sounding. But why can’t I use that for over-sampling in DSD output?

I think I now have a filter that is pretty much what you are looking for, called poly-sinc-ext3:
poly-sinc-ext3

4 Likes

@jussi_laako

How does that compare to ext2? Do you have graph for ext2?

It is just steeper for those who want steeper ones.

Here’s one with similar scale:
poly-sinc-ext2

1 Like

Looking forward to trying this out. Thanks!

EDIT: @jussi_laako would you mind posting a graph of sinc-m to compare?

That’s getting pretty close to the proverbial brick wall Jussi ! And they said it couldn’t be done …

Nice. Little graphs like this with only FR and IR all set to a common scale would be nice in the manual.

Feature request.

1 Like

Agreed. It sure would help to be able to visualize them, if possible.

Hi Jussi, when will ext3 be available to use? Thx

edit: nevermind, I see it was released in 4.11.0 today. Look forward to trying

Not if you are a HQPlayer Embedded license holder…I hope we get a new version soon!

1 Like

I can do ext3 with Redbook but not with Qobuz 96kHz streaming using an i7 7700 server when running ASDM7EC at DSD 256. I see in the manual it says that ext3 is 8 times longer than ext2.

@jussi_laako , is it possible to configure HQ Player to use different filters according to the format of the source ? I’d like to use ext3 for Redbook/48kHz and ext2 for higher resolution source material.

They’re usually a day or 2 behind. I suspect there’s either double work that needs to be done due to them being different branches of development or because embedded ends up in 3rd party devices, major releases will go to desktop users first to catch any issues before pushing headaches to hardware partners.

Either way, also trying to wait patiently.

I think yes (at least it works OK for PCM to PCM upsampling):

1 Like