Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

@jussi_laako

Same result with 4.17.1. Using sinc filters, any 48k based rates are not reaching the max set rate of DSD256x48.

Strange, and I was just testing this today and didn’t find issues… :thinking:

This is on Windows?

Which are the DACs that have ASIO drivers that support native DSD at 48k multiple rates? I don’t have a clear picture on this front.

Tried with little Cambridge DacMagic 200. (DSD512x48 is whisteling because of ES.) Guess Gustard (U12, X12) can do the same but did only use with Mac and Pi so far. Using Pi NAA OS I get DSD256x48 from the Gustards! Not only DSD128x48.

+++ah, at Cambridge you need to push the filter button at device for x48. Hope they will fix this with fw update.

With NAA running on Linux you don’t go through ASIO drivers. Many ASIO drivers limit DSD support to multiples of 44.1k.

2 Likes

Cambridge with 512x48 was only possible with Windows Asio. However whisteling. (and required push of the filter button for 48)

There are some details by Brian further down in this thread:

1 Like

Listening to my fav albums I used to listen to back in high school.

I’m stunned at hearing things I’d never noticed before.

I don’t feel a need to ever change from this :grinning:

4 Likes

Anyway, myself likes new Sync-Ls a lot too :slight_smile: Still checking out…

What are the diffs between the Sinc L variants?

Jussi made a short statement at Audiophile…Looking for the link…

I can run it with ADSM7EC2 now. Believe this was not possible with my stuff before.

Sent jussi some hqplayer logs… a bug was found, corrected and the win version of 4.17.1 has been updated on his server.

1 Like

Great! Thank you both! :slight_smile:

Currently playing with DSD upsampling using my Hidizs S9 dongle dac which has a AKM AK4493EQ and am pretty impressed. Very close to desktop performance.
What made the biggest difference in sound quality was to change from 256@44.1 to 256@48. Using 44.1 sounded mediocre but at 48 the sound is sublime. Wonder why…

Settings are poly-sinc-xtr-short-lp-2s, asdm5, dsd256@48 on Macbook Air M1

1 Like

Agreed, gauss-hires-lp does sound very good, using it for now. I like the 7ec modulator better though.

1 Like

I think it is important too for this, what was the used source sampleratefamily, 44 or 48.

On „little“ chain still listening to new Sync-Ls/AD7EC2/DSD256x48 :hugs:

[That little chain right now: Airport Express Gen 1 (FW 7.6.1) feeding via TOS Pi4&Hifiberry Digi+ IO feeding HQP Desktop on Ubuntu feeding PI400 with Hifiberry Digi2 Pro (running RopieeeXL) via NAA feeding DAC via USB or TOS. PI400 with RopieeeXL allows to switch between several „applications“ very comfortable incl. feeding DAC via TOS or HAT. By using Airport Express 1 ALAC is guaranteed :hugs:] Ah, switching HQP Filters with HQPD Control of course.

(Next step: quit Roon again as for my usage scenario (streaming) not needed.)

1 Like

Pretty happy with this, but CPU is taxed.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the new XFi SDM - SDM setting? Jussi describes it as extreme fidelity medium bandwidth. I am loving it! Let me know your experience.

1 Like

I am using “XFi” now and I think it is better than either “wide” or “Narrow”. The difference is subtle but it is there.

Agreed. And a little subtle here and a little more there and all of a sudden it adds up to Wow! That’s the high-end.