Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

No, on purpose it doesn’t… You need to update manually when you want to update.

Hi,I update manually today, and finally I was able to use Dop up to 64 in my system
and before it was not possible with the same settings …?
now the cpu does a great job, but I’m not sure it makes much sense to stream from qobuz for example 24/96, convert it to dsd 64 via Dop and pass it to the dac which converts it back to pcm.
I saw that a lot of people use it, maybe it makes sense with a 512 DSD, but at 64 it makes sense?
Tks 1000 Giovanni

You didn’t mention your DAC. No, it doesn’t make sense with a DAC that will convert it down to PCM. Instead for those DACs send as high rate PCM as possible.

May dac is N dac by Naim ,only pcm 24/768 and Dop 64/128.
Giovanni.
Instead for those DACs send as high rate PCM as possible ;What difference can a high vs normal up sampling pcm make?
Is not better to manage the original signal?
Giovanni.

I believe this is the one that uses TI’s PCM1704 R2R ladder chips which is pure native PCM DAC.

Point of upsampling is to more accurately reconstruct the original signal that the sampled digital data represents. Especially CD resolution data requires quite a bit of mathematical operations to get accurately reconstructed. The data on CD is not the original signal, but representation of it. From that representation, it needs to be mathematically reconstructed into the smooth analog waveform it represents.

In this DAC you still always have the Naim’s digital filter running in the built-in DSP that you cannot bypass. But you can try to help it with HQPlayer by providing as high as possible sampling rate. The actual conversion will always run at 705.6k or 768k sampling rate there, depending on rate family of the source.

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: HQP and Chord Qutest

1.536 PCM @32 bits is close to 50Mbps indeed so 100Mbps switch is not recommended. I had one before and had problems to stream the same rate as yours (8x384kHz@32bits).

So ,in my case, has no sens to upsampling c.d. 16/44.1 or qobuz 24/96 to 192 via HQPlayer, because the naim N dac do it self the upsampling at 705.6k or 768k internaly ?
Giovanni.

Lots of DACs do internal up-sampling, but have limited power to do that so they use simple filters. Using HQPlayer you can replace the DACs up-sampling with something better.

1 Like

It does make sense. Your DAC just then takes it from 192k to 768k. First step is the most critical anyway.

1 Like

So it could better to upsampling up to 384 before enter in naim dac, (but via spdif is not supported by spdif it self ,as you told me ,isn’t it ?) even it resample to 768 it self.
So why for example Audiophellio SE said up to 384khz…and the only output it has is a bnc spdif ?
Tks Giovanni.
P.S: I have another question …
Upsampling 16 to 24 ,means put 8 zeros at the bottom of the 24 bit or more else ?
Tks again.

Yes, or even better 768.

S/PDIF specification goes to at most 192k. Some devices overclock this to 384k, but it is rare. I don’t know if that combination of Audiophilleo and your DAC works at those rates, you can try.

It is not that simple, new values can contain any number of decimals, much more precision than 24-bit can hold. That’s why you need to use some dither/noise shaper to limit the precision to 24-bit in a proper manner. Truncating or rounding would cause distortion.

Even in the most simple linear interpolation case (never to be used with audio as it causes lot of distortion!) you need more bits. Let’s say you have original subsequent sample values of 1 and 2. Upsampling this with linear interpolation by 2x would mean that you need to hold value 1.5 between the two. This would already require one additional bit to represent. If you would start with the same values but do 4x you would need to hold values 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75 between these two. This in turn would require two additional bits to represent.

1 Like

So, if i change from 16 to 24 ,is not only to put 8 bit at the bottom ,but a more complicated stuff that HQPlayer does ?
Giovanni.

Hi Jussi,so did you suggest me to by an Audiophellio SE up to 384khz Dop up to 168 vs mine : 192khz Dop up to 64 for my Naim N dac ,doe’s it worth ?

Tks Giovanni.

I am enjoying this thread (and HQ Player) and I am always learning and I thought I would check my settings, to see if I should tweak.

I have HQ Player on my desktop (Roon on a NUC), upscaling to DSD 256 on my Topping D90 (fed via Allo USBridge Sig using Dietpi). I also use filters from Home Audio Fidelity making using of the Matrix pipeline in HQ Player, using 352kHz. Here are my exact settings below;

Does this all look correct? I have never changed DAC bits, should I leave at default? Is there anything else I should tweak?

If you use volume on Topping D90, its probably better to up-sample to PCM since DSD will be converted to PCM inside the DAC anyway to be able to perform digital volume.

Thanks. I use the D90 in DAC only mode (DSD) straight into my Musical Fidelity M6si via balanced XLR. I have tried the PCM, but generally prefer DSD, although I go for 256 (rather than 512) as there appears to be noise (according to the DAC chip documentation) above this level, I can then use the EC modulators so no real problem.

6 posts were split to a new topic: NAA on Pi; WiFi v Ethernet

2 posts were split to a new topic: Setting Convolution in HQP Embedded on Euphony

I’ve Moderated out the whole discussion about who should or shouldn’t be posting about what. It’s irrelevant and adds nothing to the thread.

Edit: Also shifted some discussions into their own threads.