Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Feeding Apple Music Hi-Res through HQPlayer (bit perfectly with auto sample rate switching).

HQPlayer is outputting fixed rate DSD512 to new DAC I’ve been trying out - SMSL D-6, and is operating in AKM’s ‘DSD Direct’ conversion mode.

All DSP (filtering and modulator) is done in HQPlayer.

This is the punchiest sound quality I’ve enjoyed in a while !

Highly recommend this DAC if you want to try direct DSD-to-analogue conversion for cheap, with balanced outputs. Before you upgrade to a Holo May or T+A DAC :grinning:

I was going to give this DAC to my old man (dad) but I’ll have to either keep it or buy another one for myself :smile:

SMSL D-6 DAC is connected to SMSL SP400 THX 888 headphone amp via TRS to XLR balanced cables. Headphone amp has relay controlled resistor ladder volume control, for perfect channel balance.

HQPlayer is doing headphones EQ for my Focal Utopia headphones.

HQPlayer is so cool !

Earlier post about it:

3 Likes

Nice DAC up cycling! And love to listen :headphones:!
By the way what computer settings you are using for to run HQPlayer. My Mac Mini can’t do SEC7v2 dither filters at DSD512

Many thanks!

1 Like

i9-11900K but my 9900K can also do it with the above filters.

Running HQPlayer Embedded on Ubuntu Jammy lowlatency kernel 5.15

I love this filter combination.

I haven’t changed filters in a while now and don’t feel any need to try other filters much these days.

And I don’t think I need a more powerful machine to do DSD1024 just yet - I’m not aware of a DAC that measures best in all/most measurements at DSD1024 rate yet.

But maybe Holo Spring4 one day will do it ! Then I can upgrade to a new i9-14900K machine :smile:

2 Likes

You are hitting the limiter. Maybe it would be better to lower the volume in HQPlayer. -3dB should be ok.

1 Like

But, do we have to upgrade? I wonder if the difference will be that big when using the same HQP settings! Popcorn ready…

1 Like

Sure, all DACs are the same… :roll_eyes:

Hi! Is already -3dB

To install HQPlayer embedded in Ubuntu this is a good reference:

If you get a computer with Ubuntu pre installed, u do all this steps?

Many thanks

1 Like

Yep but need to update to latest Embedded version.

Let’s continue with the details, in the Embedded thread:

:joy::joy::joy:! I updated the post as I saw your previous post! Many thanks! You already have an explanation here!!

1 Like

No problem. Updated Embedded install instructions now in the Embedded thread. We can discuss more over there

Try -4dB, see if that keeps the limiter at 0

1 Like

Happened in some songs, otherwise is L:0
Will check again where it happened

It is known that for some albums -3 dB is not enough. But I’d say it is good for something like 95% of albums.

It also depends on filter choice and output rate.

1 Like

-3dB is not enough for the Sony “Thriller” SACD. It needs -6dB to get no limit counts but I set mine at -4dB which is more than enough for any other album I have.

2 Likes

Having few DSD sources I ended up with volume -6 cap, turned out mostly needed in classical SACDs

For DSD sources it is good to remember that DSD/SACD spec allows momentarily +3.15 dB peaks, although it is not recommended. HQPlayer begins limiting at 0 dB because many DACs will either distort or clip at levels higher than 0 dB, or risks clipping at amplifier side, because the maximum level would exceed normal line levels. However, this mostly fits in the recommended -3 dB level, but you may need something like -3.5 or -4 which are good compromise.

However, inter-sample overs are not an issue with DSD sources, like they are with PCM sources. So these don’t need to be counted for.

If it’s Sony’s release, it seems like they don’t follow their own rules! It would be an illegal SACD under SACD specification. And at least earlier SACD manufacturing by Sony was actually checking these and refusing to produce out of spec SACDs.

Back on actual topic…

Infinetelly enjoying justt discovered another Mr. Wilsons masterpiece in collaboration with Mikael Akerfeldt.

poly-short-sinc-mp is unbeatable for Prog !

Well, frankly, I think album is very well recorded, IMHO. This is 44,1/16 source streaming from Qobuz. But the filter choice highlights just this, channel separation is exciting. And 7ECv2 adding final touch in liveleness,

4 Likes

Wilson is really talented. And manages to do a lot of things. Remixes of lot of prog classics in addition to running a lot of projects. And he also cares about sound, like Gilmour and Knopfler.

Now after a while published new album with Porcupine Tree and started a related tour. Worth giving a listen too!

3 Likes

I will definitely try it! So excited to have 7ECv2 filters running at DSD512x48 on NEO iDSD!

2 Likes