Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Thinking on buying a licence. Will this be on version 4.x or will be a 5.x release?

Current licenses are for 4.x. I have no information about 5.x.

@jussi_laako ; What is the filter on your RME ? :wink:
I think the filter inside has no impact over 192kb, but for my curiosity, what is the filter used on your RME (Sharp or NOS - PCM not direct DSD, of course)

If you mean DAC side filter, I have it set to sharp linear phase, but it doesn’t matter because it never gets used in my use cases. I always have it set to DSD Direct and send DSD256 there. The filter is omitted for >= 352.8k rates. If you want to send PCM there, send 705.6/768k, since it gives much better performance than sending lower rates because the on-chip digital filter outputs only up to 384k.

For inputs, I have ADC set to sharp linear phase and when running in multichannel CC mode ADC rate is limited to 192k the filter actually applies for analog inputs. This way I get both analog input and three digital inputs as well without touching configuration. 192k should be enough for vinyl use cases. But for more extreme I can run it in stereo CC mode and at 768/32 PCM or DSD256 ADC, but then the digital inputs fall out. Not necessarily too much of a problem, but a bit too much hassle to change the mode especially since it requires disconnecting the USB cable if the server is running.

Hey all,

Got my i9 9900k with a 2070 super and m.2 SSDs, 32gb ddr4 3600mhz. Running a Spring 2 DAC so i can support DSD 1024.

Whats the most intensive setup you think i can push with this setup?

You could try ASDM7EC at DSD 512, I don’t know of anyone running this yet. I am sure others will have some suggestions.

I am running ASDM7EC at 256DSD on my overclocked i7 9700.

1 Like

For real-time upsampling, this needs a CPU with base speed of minimum 8 GHz (for at least 2 cores I think). Doesn’t exist at the moment. This could be a very long wait.

HQPlayer Pro can do DSD1024 with EC modulators offline though.

Wishful thinking then! Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Ha no worries. The core count is increasing with new CPU’s but for EC modulators (real-time upsampling) the base speed is more important and that doesn’t seem to be increasing as quickly.

Maybe there’ll be a step change coming in the future.

I’m no expert though. I’m just parroting what the Guru @jussi_laako has said.

My filters at present:
Chord TT: pcm, sinc-m, 384k, lns15, adaptive
Chord H2, Mojo: pcm, sinc-m, 768k, lns15, adaptive
RME ADI-2: sdm, poly-sinc-long-lp-2s, ASDM7, DSD256, 48k, adaptive

Any suggestions for the RME?

@jussi_laako posted about that earlier. I also have the RME but I use it as a preamp so its PCM for me, 768khz (not adaptive) with ext2 + LNS15 is the one I like best (at least right now).

1 Like

Thanks @Magnus . I will give that a try for the RME.

Try ext2 filter also.

And can you do ASDM5EC or ASDM7EC modulator at DSD256?

Not with my equipment. I can use either embedded on the Antipodes EX (Celeron) or desktop on a NUC7i3. No EC modulators for me. I usually use pcm but the dsd was quite a relaxed sound which I liked.

Dsd quite relaxed, you mean : native ,or we have same sensations if we upsampling pcm to dsd via Dop ? Cause I have only pcm dac.
Tks Giovanni

@jussi_laako posted about that earlier. I also have the RME but I use it as a preamp so its PCM for me, 768khz (not adaptive) with ext2 + LNS15 is the one I like best (at least right now).

For me (RME ADI-2).
PCM (my NUC can’t do DSD with heavy convolution).
PCM 705/768 (adaptive) - Sinc-S - LNS15

Hi, how do you set PCM 705/768 (adaptive) in HQPlayer (adaptive or not)
Tks Giovanni.

Just set 768000 as the ceiling if your DAC is capable, auto and family

That should do the trick

Hi Jussi, regarding one of your measurements of PCM vs DSD input for ADI-2 DAC, does this below measurement suggest that the reconstruction accuracy of PCM705kHz and DSD256 are more or less the same with this DAC?

Because both are limited by the peak around approx -80 dB?

PCM705kHz input:

DSD256 input:

1 Like

No, DSD is better. The tones produced by PCM are fully correlated with the input signal (distortion), while DSD has just uncorrelated noise.

1 Like