Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

You know what, for some reason I didnt think that worked…and im not sure why!!

I think I tried it when I was first setting up all those months ago (when I really didnt know what I was doing) and couldn’t get Auto to work

Well, low and behold it does hahaha…thanks for pointing that “obvious” error my part :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

With that dac you shouldnt use dsd. 384pcm via usb.

Thats what im finding, however DSD files do sound better using SDM Settings (Now using Output mode AUTO) than converting the DSD file to PCM 384.

Yes, sorry I mean you shouldnt upsample to dsd.

I agree with your statement :slight_smile: .

For that likely PCM inputs work nice, because it is natively a PCM DAC (R2R).

It would also make sense to let HQPlayer convert DSD content to PCM and just keep it always running at 352.8/384k PCM, regardless of source content.

2 Likes

However and strangely DSD files clearly sound better using SDM than converting to PCM. I think leaving HQplayer in Auto and letting PCM upsample to 384 Sinc-M…and DSD upsample to 6144000 Sinc-M is my best setting

Very happy now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @jussi_laako I’m “new” using Roon and HQPlayer, what filter/dither combo would you suggest for a warm/bassy sound?? or something to avoid sibilance.

I have a Denafrips Ares II DAC and Topping A90 amp.

Thanks a Lot.

The filters/dither/noise shapers are not EQ…

If you want to correct tonal balance then the Roon PEQ is the best place to start.

Generally speaking filters in HQP make trade offs as to length and phase. A shorter filter usually has better impulse response in the time domain, but a wider roll off and les bandwidth rejection in the frequency domain. Longer filters have sharper roll off and deeper rejection, but can be less dynamic. A linear phase filter has both pre and post ringing artefacts but has a consistent phase response by frequency. A minimum phase filter has only post ringing but the phase response varies with frequency.

The HQP manual that comes with installation describes where on the above spectrum a filter lies.

When in doubt, I like ext2. It is a linear phase longer filter that preserves good dynamics.

1 Like

For avoiding or eliminating sibilance, apodizing filters are good. You can refer to the table in the manual which ones are apodizing. But from that category, good starting point are the already stated poly-sinc-ext2 and you can also try poly-sinc-short-mp. You could also try both variants of poly-sinc-mqa even though it is intended for MQA content, it can also work for other content where the filter needs to cut in early and if you prefer a relatively short one.

Thanks so much, I’m just starting to understand how filters and dithers work,

Where can i download the latest manual? I didn’t find it in signalyst website.

Thanks again to everyone for the help

For HQPlayer Desktop It is included in all installers.

On Windows you can find manual from Start-menu in HQPlayer group. If you open Windows Start-menu and start typing “HQPlayer” you’ll find it quickly.

On Linux it is installed together with the software and you can find it from Start-menu of the desktop environment.

On macOS it is included in the DMG and while installing you can drag and drop it to some suitable place where you like to keep it.

HQPlayer Embedded doesn’t come with a manual, but instead help pages on it’s web interface. There you can find the relevant information from Help-link in top-right corner of /config page.

1 Like

Try out IIR also, it gives a little softer treble and more analogue sound

found it, now I feel so stupid I didn’t search there first haha.
Thanks

thanks, will do.

I think I’ve settled on IIR NS9(18bits) PCM @ 4x > Sonore ultraDigital > Schiit Gungnir MB via BNC

We’ll see how long I leave it alone :rofl:

Try poly-sinc-xtr-mp with NS9 - one of my favorites

1 Like

poly-sync-xtr-mp does sound nice, it’s very big and open. However, I don’t find IIR to be fatiguing with my system. The other filters seem to create a “bubble” of sound in the room, where as the IIR filter blends into the room tone.

Native roon is highly detailed, but bright to my ears. MPD is more saturated, but less detailed.

I don’t know if it’s to do with my speakers (B&W Nautilus 803), or whether I just prefer the more analog sound.

Aren’t MPD and Roon sending unmolested bits to the DAC? Are are you using filters with them too?