Which Roon control app is best?

The phase of the moon has a better chance of making a difference…

5 Likes

There’s a word based on how the moon effects the mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have actually noticed that, too. Also, Elon Musk’s recently launched Starlink satellites.

So it’s not “one size fits all” as you said. I’ve tried most of the variations of the controller software and functionality wise the Windows desktop app is not the same “size” as say, the android app.

In practice I mostly use an iPad 12.9”, but there a couple of functions I have to go to Windows desktop for (though I can’t remember what they are at the moment because I’ve been drinking :slight_smile: )

1 Like

And yet it does. Truth will emerge eventually.

Some sort of expectation bias or you’re pulling up different versions of the file. The iPad Pro 12.9 sounds better because it cost more. Kinda like Melco switches.

3 Likes

None of these possible explanations Jim, and I had noticed it before the change of switch. It’s an easy experiment for those who wish to try it, and nothing lost if my experience is not replicated.

The truth is that what you are suggesting is ridiculous!

Can you provide an even remotely plausible explanation as to how this could be the case?

2 Likes

I did an even more impressive test: I started the track from the iPad, shut down the iPad, put it in a burlap sack with two bricks, rowed out in the middle of the lake and sank it, rowed back and the track was still playing, sounding better than ever!

5 Likes

Burlap has antiphlogistic properties hence the improvement.
In the chemical rather than medical sense of the word obvs.

1 Like

Well, I have retested it several times, iPhone v iPad 12.9, and there is no doubt as to the difference.
The only explanation which occurs to me is that it has something to do with how I am running Roon Core, but I don’t understand enough about the intricacies, and maybe I just need to sort out how my Core is configured.
While I understand that the remote is not in the signal path, it nevertheless seems to have an effect on how things sound. I’m guessing that it has something to do with the communication between remote and core, the higher processing power of the 12.9 being the difference.
Look, I’ve been at this SQ game for more than 40 years, so I know what I’m hearing. A bit more thought and a lot less sarcasm could go a long way here.

1 Like

Please don’t say the switch you refer to is an “audiophile” switch…

But no one has to think about it. The device sends “play” that’s it. Does the TV look better because you pressed the IR remote instead of using the physical buttons or the smartphone app, of course not.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but how would the processing power of the Remote have anything to do with the Core? The Remote is not doing any of the work for the Core and the Core is not doing any of the work for the Remote. Not much data passes from the Core to the Remote and even less is passed by the Remote to the Core.

This is the kind of idea that gets “audiophiles” laughed at.

Since you are using an audiophile switch, I assume you are using the Roon Core -> Ethernet -> Roon Endpoint model. Even if we assume for a moment that the Roon Core has to do a tiny bit more work with the iPhone than the iPad, how could that affect sound quality when the Roon Endpoint is getting the same exact data no matter what?

Insanity…or expectation bias at its strongest.

3 Likes

I use my MacBook Pro almost exclusively to control our Roon setup.

Neither actually.

The TV doesn’t communicate with the remote, but there is a two way process with Roon Core, so it’s not analogous. Please think about it.

I think we have a new winner in the crazy claims contest. Step forward, claim your prize!

5 Likes

It does with the smartphone remote so using it should degrade the picture in your scenario.

I am thinking about it.
What happens if you power off the remote?
Specifically, what happens if the iPhone is powered off, vs. if the iPad is powered off?
I would assume that if the higher powered iPad is off, that would have the same effect as if the lower powered iPhone is off.
What are your results?

(Yes, the burlap sack and the lake was sarcasm, but this is not, this is a legitimate experiment.)

2 Likes