Which Roon control app is best?

I was completely unaware of such profiles, and thought I would have a look as I have 4 remotes. I have not been able to find them, and would like to know how to access them, please.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Profiles

Thank you!

Mind you, as @ezman says, itā€™s still an open question as to whether profiles can differentiate audio settings - some experimentation is in order, I thinkā€¦

@David_O_Higgins , seems you unfortunately did not get around to test the sound with the remotes turned off and report your findings to the curious amongst us.

1 Like

Marin, Iā€™ve been away from home for a while and Iā€™ve lost the gist of this thread. I donā€™t understand what exactly Iā€™m being asked to do.
I repeat that if I start a track with iPhone as Roon remote, then stop it (pressing pause), then start it again using IPad 12.9 as Roon remote, the sound is significantly better. I am not using either remote to process the sound in any way.
The same experience operates in reverse (12.9 followed by phone.), with the opposite consequences.

I laughed at that! - former Zafira owner.

1 Like

Iā€™m not doubting you hear a difference, but are you willing to consider that expectation bias would be a much simpler explanation for those differences? As has been pointed out, there is absolutely no electronic or physical explanation as to how the remote could affect SQ.

Anders, please expand on this post with a detailed list of steps you would like me to follow. With respect, there are too many ambiguities here. What do you mean by ā€˜power off the remoteā€™ ? At what point in any comparison am I supposed to do that, and how am I supposed to power them up afterwards ?
Please remember that I am enjoying a potential difference which I want to share with others, and I donā€™t give a damn about whether Iā€™m imagining it.

It has been suggested that if you are possibly using more than one user profile, perhaps the different profiles are being used by the different control devices and have different DSP going on. This would/could explain why you might be hearing different sounding output. While this does seem very possible, I think you would know if you set up more than one profile and are using different DSP settings for each.

It has also been suggested than if you turn off the control device after starting playback, that might effect what you hear. I donā€™t agree with that theory because once it starts playing, turning off the control device would change nothing. The DSP would have already been applied.

Personally, I still think you must be getting some expectation bias. It happens.

One profile, no different settings. If expectation bias can make this difference, then Iā€™m all for it!

1 Like

The mind is a powerful thing.

Since the music signal does not pass through the remote, if the choice of remote has any effect on the sound that influence must go through some other effect.
So i suggest that you power on the iPad Air, connect to Roon, select an output zone as usual, select an album and play it, listen to the sound you get and determine if it has the same sound that you have reported, and then simply power off the iPad. With the power button, or in at the bottom of the General tab in Settings. The point is, completely powered off, not just a black screen. Then listen if the sound still has the same problem that you have reported before, even though the remote is off.

Then you do the same thing with the 12.9ā€ iPad.

I think that if the sound degradation remains even when the iPad is powered off, then it is not caused by the iPad.

And that leaves the question of how the effect of one remote and the other could cause different effects ā€” is the sound better when you are not using iPad Air or not using the 12.9ā€?

Turning it back on: just power the device up with the power button and start the Roon app as usual.

For completeness, you could start with the Air, then while the Air is still on, turn on the 12.9ā€ and turn it to the same zone. And vice versa, 12.9ā€ first, then add the Air. Do you hear the effect in both cases?

The point of the test is that the remote should not be involved in any way. Thatā€™s why I was joking about sinking it in the lake.

If the effect remains when you have turned off the IPad then it is not caused by anything electrical going on, instead must be caused by some different setting activated by the iPad (I canā€™t understand what that would be). And then it is interesting to see what happens when both are off.

If the effect goes away when you turn off the iPad, then it is caused by the iPad and we can maybe think of other troubleshooting.

David,
you were inquisitive enough to find out about your sound quality improvement tweak, imagined or not.
What is it, that seems to stop you from wanting to try to possibly enhance that effect by just switching off either or both remotes?

This is why I do not talk about my hobby in public places :wink:
I introduced myself as an audiophile in my company 2 years agoā€¦and IT guys laughed at me and put on my desk an old switch with an Ā« audiophile Ā» sticker on it for sale 2000ā‚¬ :rofl:
It is fun to discuss how things can improve SQ but with limitations : we should have an
Ā« audiophile Advisory explicit content Ā»

Anders, what I reported here was not a ā€˜problemā€™, but a difference, real or imagined. I tried to follow your sequence of testing but I ended up completely confused.
The best thing now is that I continue with the 12.9ā€ and you conclude that Iā€™m imagining it. That way, neither of us has to lose any sleep over it.

1 Like

In the same vein I start spraying tea when I hear stories about ā€œaudiophile network switchesā€

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just reading one of the ā€˜power cableā€™ discussions. Good job I wasnā€™t drinking tea at the time :wink:

I use an iPad and a Windows Laptop. The functionality is the same but I prefer the larger presentation from the laptop. I also use the PC as a remote to my Mac Mini Roon headless server. The mouse is more precise for system management and file movements as compared to the iPad. I like the iPadā€™s mobility.