Which USB Cables Are You Using?

Hey, what can I say? I just like blue…

1 Like

I think this is a really good idea and something that I haven’t done enough of. I just saw that PayPal are offering a service where they will refund up to $45 of return postage costs up to 8 times a year if you buy through them and return the goods. Haven’t read all the terms and conditions though.

1 Like

Nor me, prior to a year ago = expensive and wasteful… But I’m a changed person. Not least since I now think Room Correction makes more difference than any tweak I made before it, and music life will be complete once this and RoonSpeakers are all part of the Roon ecosystem :wink:

I also find it disturbing how much cable manufacturers rip people off. Whatever the differences, they’re in no way reflected in the prices - some of which are ludicrous to say the least. After all - they’re wires with connectors on each end…

1 Like

It’s strange that no one has tested the Curious USB cable against an $10 USB cable (whatever colour) and said that he/she cuouldn’t hear any difference. The test is free if you can’t hear the difference, just send it back and get your money back. :neutral_face:

I’ll test it if it is sent for free with a return paid envelope for when I want to send it back.

The Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable - it’s faster than the USB 2.0 spec - it’ll send the data to your DAC before the USB port on your PC gets it from your player. 1 metre - over $500.

It’s also red.

From their website - [quote]Each cable in the Heimdall 2 range provides clarity, definition and detail to sound that is otherwise unheard of in this price range[/quote]

Hmmm… Bummer.

2 Likes

What they meant to say is …
“This price range is unheard of”

1 Like

If only that were true, but sadly it’s probably only ‘entry level’ compared to what you can pay if you really want your system to shine. :sweat_smile:

Nice article on Postive Feedback Online on this topic. Cable makers talk about why cables matter.

The article is pretty dodgy. In digital communications the package is good or it’s not. If it isn’t good, it is either dropped (a click in the audio) or retransmitted ( no affect) depending upon the usb mode being used. The data transfer rates are far below the cable capacity and decent DACs will isolate the usb electrically and reclock the data.

Spend your money on a DAC with a nice output stage, don’t worry over digital cables. They work or they don’t. There is no middle ground on that one.

4 Likes

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

As Carl has alluded, nothing more to (sensibly) discuss here, I suggest the thread is closed.