Which Zotac ZBOX for Roon Core

Hi all.

I want to set up a Roon core on a small, passively cooled pc and use it as a streamer, data storage and Roon endpoint. I am aware it would be ideal to have the core and endpoint separate but for budget reasons this is out of the question.

So considering this will be a full PC, running Windows 10 and run core, can I run it on the smallest Zotac ZBOX?

ZOTAC ZBOX CI329 nano that has a Celeron CPU.

Or do I need something beefier like the ZOTAC ZBOX CI620 nano?

I do not use DSP much in Roon. Maybe up-sampling would be good.

Windows is resource hungry. You need the i3 as a minimum, and I might try to avoid Windows if possible. Will the box be Roon only?

Yes just Roon. Maybe the Spotify app too but I do not want a screen either. So it would just be on 24/7. and I would add a 4tb ssd where to store FLACs.

I might opt for a true headless solution running ROCK or at least Linux Server but if you wanted to run anything other than Roon it might be hard to avoid Windows.

1 Like

Other than not going lower than an i3. You should be fine. I’ve used Windows for years as the Roon core and it has been rock solid and sounded great.

1 Like

I found another passive mini pc, with an i5, 8gb and SSD. Seems ideal.
2020-05-12_11-48-29

I mainly use it to stream Tidal and I complement only for those albums that are missing.

I use a Zotac Mini with an intel i3. It’s quite old - at least 4 years - C1520NANO.
Complete pain in the backside when running Windows - just too slow to be of any use.
However, after installing ROCK on it (VERY EASY), it has faithfully acted as my Roon server. On 24/7. No noise (as no fans). Can upsample to DSD 128 without too many issues etc etc.
So - not good as a Windows box…EXCELLENT as an inexpensive ROCK box.

Thanks I’ll look into ROCK but I wanted to be able to use Spotify too.

Shifted to Qobuz a few years back, so don’t have to think about Spotify compatibility anymore :joy: