Whisk(e)y loving objectivists’ corner

And this is a sacrilege but I sometimes make a rusty nail with Ardbeg shame on me!
Has anyone tried 1792 Bourbon—wow smooth with quite a punch :boxing_glove: !
Anyone know why it is nearly impossible to find Logavulin 16 year old ?

2 Likes

Picked this up on a whim due to inexpensive and never-heard-of-before.

Yes, there’s ice in the glass. Post purchase I read some reviews and it did not sound promising. So in these situations I add the ice to diminish the anticipated harshness.

After initial sips, let’s just say this will be the bottle I pour for unexpected guests who don’t usually partake in Scotch.

4 Likes

According to the WSJ:

When stocks of 16 year-old spirit run low, it’s at least 16 years before you can catch up, sometimes much longer. For an age-statemented Scotch whisky, the number given is the age of the youngest spirit incorporated in the final blend.

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but even most single malts are blended from a range of different barrels from the same distillery. Some matured in differently sourced casks (e.g. ex-bourbon, sherry, port, red wine) and often from a range of ages.

3 Likes

Jura is one of my go-to whiskies. Coincidentally, I picked up a bottle yesterday, along with its big brother, which is very nice indeed:

3 Likes

First time for Cardhu. Ice always acts as a “buffer” for the first timers in the event of harshness. CD is in the player as I sip this one.

2 Likes

No need for ice with Cardhu, it’s as smooth as the proverbial baby’s bottom!

My latest addition (birthday gift from my Father). Originally produced for export, though now available in the UK. Deliciously sherried Speyside blended malt. Seems to evaporate very quickly though!

5 Likes

Nice of them to name it after me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my biggest problem with having a few drams while listening to the stereo is that I often have a laptop nearby (roon) and I find my way to the audio sale sites (USAM, Music Direct, TMR) and my impulse control is less so with each sip.

3 Likes

New delivery today.

4 Likes

That’s a seriously nice dram. Slàinte Mhath!:tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Picked up this new-for-me bottle today only because it was on sale. Bouquet is not the greatest but initial taste is tolerable. The ice definitely helps.

1 Like

Aberlour Abunadh

2 Likes

Now we’re talking! One of my favourites, despite the recent price hike. Still, even at its current asking price, it’s obvious that it’s not overpriced compared to its peers! Somewhat analogous to the topic at hand?

2 Likes

BTW, for those not in the know, Aberlour A’bunadh has more than doubled in price of late, yet it still represents excellent value for money when compared to the alternatives.

2 Likes

TBH, Scotch price/availability has had me drinking more bourbon & rye recently. But the Aberlour is still one of my long-time favorites

1 Like

Ah, but the really good, well-aged bourbons are well past the price of a good Scotch, no?

Can you get a lifetime supply?

Oh, I wish…

1 Like

Just like the old price of A’bunadh, you can get something like Knob Creek Single Barrel or Four Roses Single Barrel, or Rowan’s Creek, each for ~$40/bottle. All really good, IMO and still an amazing value.

OK, Graeme, I’m going to have to stop this. I have a few hours that I have to remain functional today.

All very nice bourbons, but IMO to better the likes of Aberlour A’bunadh, you’re looking towards George T. Stagg or Widow Jane territory. At its previous price, it was too good a bargain and I think Aberlour realised this. To be fair, the cost of Oloroso sherry casks has rocketed, so production cost of a whisky like the A’bunadh has also rocketed.

1 Like