Whisk(e)y loving objectivists’ corner

Ooh, that’s a new one on me! (Balvenie 15) What’s it like?

It tastes like a cross between Build 777 and 778 but without a hint of MQA

More here

5 Likes

Our 9th wedding anniversary is coming up soon (copper in the UK) Might be an ideal gift for Mrs F.

1 Like

You are a brave man and/or you married the right woman!
Slàinte mhath!

1 Like

Wimps.

9 Likes

I converted her long before we married! For some reason, she prefers bourbons and Tennessee whiskeys, although she is very partial to a rich, sherry casked single malt!

1 Like

Oaft! That’s gotta be straight off the still! Lots of stories I could tell in relation to raw spirit - my father’s uncle was a Stillman at Carsebridge distillery, once the largest grain distillery in Scotland.

One of my most memorable moments was as a 7-year old when my father took me on a visit to Blair Atholl distillery near Pitlochry. At the end of the tour, they passed around a glass of raw spirit from the still for visitors to nose, or if you were brave enough to taste. I watched a rather foolhardy English chap take a massive swig of the stuff and then promptly gasp, turn a funny shade of scarlet and almost expire on the spot!

2 Likes

I use Everclear to set a serving board of grilled meats (and vegetables) aflame for table presentation.
Like this (but not my picture):

2 Likes

I use it to clean the board afterwards…

4 Likes

We treat ourselves every Xmas to a “Nice Bottle” we’re a bit limited as to what we get in South Africa so we tend to settle on Highland Park or Jura (to remind us of a holiday in Jura years ago, if you aven’t been definitely GO its like “someone turned the world off”

1 Like

Can’t beat a bottle of Highland Park or Jura. Despite growing up in Scotland, I’ve not managed to get across to either Islay or Jura. Both are on my list of destinations once we’re out of lockdown :slight_smile:

1 Like

I spent a long weekend on Jura running a landscape photography workshop. We stayed at the Jura Lodge and drank our way through quite a few bottles of the local brew - fantastic stuff. I still have this one - just need a good excuse to open it :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you’re a landscape 'tog as well? I had a new, but growing wedding/portrait business prior to our move to Austria. I started off doing wildlife photography - some of the stealth techniques learned there paid dividends in the wedding business. Always preferred candid over staged… :grin: In some ways (given the current situation), I’m glad I didn’t get too far down the road with it. Have the COVID-19 restrictions impacted your landscape work?

That’s our accommodation for a Jura trip sorted, then! :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve not tried the Jura 21 before, but that looks like it’ll be a very fine dram indeed!

Has this thread properly morphed into the whisk(e)y loving objectivists’ corner, then?

On a slightly less facetious note, maybe we need a listening/drinking thread in the music forum? No gear talk and a place where objectivists and subjectivists can mingle in relative safety? That’s of course assuming we’d all want to mingle with heretical science deniers…:wink:

Well, currently I’m a maths teacher, but I used to be a landscape photographer. It’s a long story, involving quite a few changes in career (tho’ most have been education related), but here’s a link to my ‘tog/previous career’ persona if you’re interested.

Count me in. When Covid is a thing of a past I’d love to revisit Jura :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some stunning work there with a very ‘fresh’ perspective IMHO! Have bookmarked your site so I can peruse it at a more leisurely pace over the next few days…

1 Like

My congrats to @Peter_Bruderer for opening this thread, which can already be considered as the best of the whole Roon forum…! :wink:

As a lover of both single malt and blended whiskies, and after a particularly crappy/exhausting week at work, I can only look forward to having a sip after my boy goes to bed tonight - and here are three STRONG recommendations I can make:

The Glenfiddich Project XX is particularly astounding.

6 Likes

Over the many years my “go to” has been some flavour of Glenrothes. Then this came as a b-day gift a few weeks ago.

Never heard of it prior and it is exceptional.

5 Likes

Are spiced Rum drinkers allowed in this thread :grin:
Otherwise I can always delete my contributions :roll_eyes:

Visited the distillery there a few years ago and bought a few bottles. Thy were greatly enjoyed by the receivers

Haven’t tried the Project XX - will certainly look out for it. The Quinta Ruban is excellent. Even better IMHO in the Glenmorangie range is the Nectar D’Or - in theory the sauternes cask thing shouldn’t work, but it is absolutely one of my favourite malts.

2 Likes