White noise at the beginning of a track (SonicTransporter + Hugo TT 2)

I thought that I was alone. About a .5sec burst of white noise at the begginning of a track. I am using a Sonic Transporter i5, Ultra rendu, Chord Hugo TT2 Dac and Chord Hugo M Scaler.

Hello @Ian_spector,

I have split your post from the previous thread as to better assist here. Can you please let me know some more information here:

• Does this issue occur for both local and streaming tracks or just one and not the other?
  • Does this same issue occur when the Hugo TT2 is connected directly to the SonicTransporter as a temporary test?
  • Does this same issue occur on other zones ?
  • What is your network setup like? Please let me know the model/manufacturer of your router, switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect.

Thanks,
Noris

My belief is that it does not do it on all zones. To make the best use of your time I will do some testing tomorrow to try and find out when it does it. I appreciate your help.

Dear @noris,

I have been experimenting and made some interesting discoveries. First, the problem is always repeatable so that should help. I have also made a recording so you can hear it. I was wrong in which of my systems does it; it is not in my Chord Stax system with the UltraRendu, in fact I cannot make that system ever do it. It is in my speaker system in the summerhouse and that always does it going from a redbook recording to a high res recording. That system uses a Teddy Pardo TeddyDAC connected optically to a Sonicorbiter. The DAC does not have synchronous USB out and the only renderer I have with optical is the sonic orbiter so that is why I have spare microrendus and a spare ultra rendu but the sonic orbiter is in use. The other difference is that I use your Roon EQ in that system and none of the others.

Here is a link to the recording, the end of Tom Waits Long Way Home and the start of the Clash 96/24 Revolution Rock burst of static

Both tracks are stored on a Synology DS3611XS with 6 10TB discs. All connections are hard wired and use an Apple Extreme router and a couple of 16 port Netgear unmanaged switches. The summerhouse has a couple of ethernet runs (some 80metres) and another airport extreme that provides wireless in the summerhouse and a wired connection via its hub to the sonicorbiter. My iPad connects to that wireless network to run Roon.

I do not hear the noise going from high res to high res and not necessarily when starting an album from the beginning. I am happy to start making changes but what would you like to try first? Turning off your Roon processing, changing the Dac or changing dac and renderer. My instinct says it is the Dac but it should be straightforward to track down.

There are no range extenders or power lines anywhere in the house. The Sonic Transporter is wired directly into the main switch.

Hello @Ian_spector,

Thanks for experimenting and for confirming that it’s just the TeddyDAC that is experiencing this issue.

I would start by turning off DSP to see if that has any change and then if that still results in the issue occurring, I would try a different DAC with the DSP enabled again and everything else remaining constant to see if you are still able to reproduce.

If we are able to narrow this issue down to just the TeddyDAC, then it would be advisable to contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide further information as to why this issue would happen when the sample rate changes.

Please do let me know how the follow-up testing goes!

Thanks,
Noris

Dear @noris,

I Swapped out the TeddyDAC for a Chord Mojo as that would allow me to continue using the Sonic Orbiter with optical and thereby changing as few variables as possible at a time. I also left DSP on in the first test. There was no burst of sound in this orientation so I have not bothered with any further tests. It is a shame as that DAC is a solid product and I can leave it on all year whereas I really do not like to leave my Hugo2 or Mojos on all the time. I have a Chord Qutest that I am not using so I may take that down. Let me know if there is anything else that you would be interested in trying but at the moment it seems to be very specific to a relatively obscure DAC. I really appreciate you support though.

Hi @Ian_spector,

Thanks for confirming that the DAC itself appears to be the issue. I am not sure what more can be done from our end, it sounds like it might be a hardware issue and you might want to reach out to TeddyDAC if you’d like to investigate this further.

It would be good to see if they perhaps released any new firmware that helps with this issue or if they have any beta firmware they can send you to double check, but from what you have mentioned so far it does not appear to be Roon related.

Since this issue appears to be due to the DAC, I’m inclined to mark this thread as [Solved] and I have just done so. If there’s anything else Roon-related that I can assist with just let me know, otherwise I hope you have a continued enjoyable Roon experience!

Thanks,
Noris

Dear @noris,

Yes, you have solved it and I could not be happier with my Roon experience. Very many thanks for everything

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.