White screen with red cross then fail to start

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Microsoft Windows 10 pro i7-3770 16gig ram

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

Roon fails to load, flashing up white screen with a red cross through it briefly - before not starting.
This happened before after a reboot, but then it started again after about 30 minutes of trying. I’ve been afraid to switch My Pc off ever since.

I’ve had to reboot my system today and once again Roon fails to load with the exact same symptoms, I must have tried 50 times.
Nothing else is running it has all resources to itself and if you can ever get it to load, it works fine.

I’m so depressed about this - Roon seemed the answer to my prayers to despite the high cost of entry, but its issues seem too numerous for anyone to effectively use it?

I would be very grateful if someone could maybe explain what the red cross through the white screen means please, and how I might get this to work again. Currently I’m paying for a service that doesn’t work - I just want to play some music…

I am having a similar problem:

Can you tell me/us what version of Win10 you are using?

I’ve never seen a white screen with a Red Cross in it…a screen shot would be helpful too. Also have you checked you graphics drives are up to date.

A 3rd generation intel cpu tells us it’s an older machine too. So maybe some more details about the hardware like gfx card / chipsets etc might be useful, and when you last updated windows and roon for that matter.

Not the first one:

Whilst I’m not sure what’s causing this error to occur, uninstalling and then reinstalling Roon fixes it.

Nothing else changed just a reinstall and it picks up my database and files immediately and just works. I had thought maybe my database was corrupt or something, but it cant be if it works fine after a reinstall?

I’m probably going to even more wary of rebooting the machine again, but at least a re install seems to fix it! xD

Thank you for those of you who posted, much appreciated xD

1 Like

Thanks for your attention mate. Fortunately I fixed the issue with a simple reinstall.

Its an old old dell machine, but its a current and pretty clean windows 10 professional install on an SSD with the latest Roon build. On board intel graphics only. This is a machine I’m happy to leave on 24/7.

My 10900k 3090 system is not going to be a roon server - that’s even more expensive than Roons own cores xD

Thanks again for seeing if you could advise - it is very appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.