What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Billy Martin of Medeski Martin and Wood.

I saw them live a year ago, playing the stuff that became the album Free Magic: Live.

MMW is great in general (damn, I should have nominated Medeski in the jazz pianist thread…). Martin illustrates that a drummer can be a supportive cog in a machine while at the same time being a creative and personal voice. (As do Medeski and Wood.) Free Magic illustrates this better than some of their albums, more acoustic and less rowdy electronics, it starts with some novel percussion work.

In fact, I interpret the request for a “drummer” as “percussionist”. It’s not just drums.

4 Likes

Michele Rabbia is an outstanding jazz percussionist. What I said about Billy Martin applies, but Rabbia is also a strong composer and leader. See for example Shifting Grace, with Rabbia, Marilyn Crispell and Vincent Courtois — I don’t think it is a coincidence that Rabbia is mentioned first.

Rabbia has done an enormous amount of highly varied and creative work, with the Italian jazz movement and elsewhere.

2 Likes

It’s not too late for that. :wink:

Al Jackson Jr., Earl Palmer, Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Roger Hawkins, Gene Chrisman, Jerry Carrigan, Buddy Harmon, Bernard “Pretty” Purdie, Howard Grimes, Sammy Creason, Kenneth Buttrey, Russ Kunkel, Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Tom Ardolino, Kenny Aronoff, Shawn Pelton, Bobby Irwin, Max Weinberg… Those are just a few off the top of my head!

2 Likes

@Spence_Marquart
Thanks a lot for your post, but name-dropping alone is not what this thread is about.

When Paul Motian died in November 2011 the New York Times ran an obituary (by itself a sign of achieved stature :grinning:. My son, a musician, said he didn’t know a Motian was still around — Motian is a force in jazz drumming, the man is badass! People who study the history more than I do say that he drove the move of drumming to more than just a rhythm section. So I went browsing in my library (this was in the Sooloos era, Roon precursor). Of course, a drummer often does not show up as the album artist, even though Motian does more than most, he is a composer and leader. But with Roon, I can find his other appearances which are legion. Motian played on some of Bill Evans’s seminal albums in the 1950s. Since then, he has played with many of the great and less well-known names of jazz: Peacock, Jarrett, Corea, Hancock, Haden, Crispell, Rava, Bollani, Pieranunzi, Frisell, Lovano, Stenson, Jormin… But he also plays with many young, up-and-coming people in my library, like Anat Fort and Ben Monder…

But I noticed I had only a few albums with Keith Jarrett. Strange, as I have tons of Jarrett. I clicked on Jarrett, and of course, he mostly plays with Jack DeJohnette. (In fact, I remember reading somewhere that Motian and Jarrett didn’t get along, personally or musically I don’t know.)

So I clicked on DeJohnette, and there is another drummer star. He has a similar history to Motian (except he is still alive, saw him play recently), with Miles Davis and Ron Carter and Wayne Shorter and Bill Evans at one end, and Rollins and Hubbard and Stanko and Vitous and Sting, and Spalding and Mahanthappa.

And then suddenly it was Monday, and I had to stop exploring all this great music, young and old, and go to work.

(You recognize that this story is an explanation of the unique value of Roon. What is metadata? This is metadata.)

10 Likes

@HWZ

IMO that’s an excellent definition. Just listening to “Multiplicity” —
great stuff! Dave Weckl is phenomenal!!!

3 Likes

I was just going to write up the exact same two, for all the reasons you describe. :slight_smile:

I would be hard-pressed to find more creative, subtle and by times even poetic drummers in my library.

4 Likes

@AndersVinberg
@RBM

You two beat me to it. You must be telepathic. I was just in the middle of writing something about Motian and DeJohnette when I saw your posts…

Here are two of the many albums I could recommend.

Motian:
https://i.imgur.com/taYQl8u.png

DeJohnette:
https://i.imgur.com/paqPVDS.png

7 Likes

The other night I heard Matthew Shipp (another great pianist), and on drums he had Newman Taylor Baker. I had never heard of him, but he was great, I will definitively follow up.

He was the exact opposite of a rock drummer (Ginger Baker, anyone?). He was playful and inquisitive, often quiet. Tink tink tink on the cymbal. Pock pock pock on a rim. Shipp, at 56, looks and plays like a millennial, the whole concert was one long flood of innovation, leaving plenty of room for everybody (Michael Bisio played bass) to do what they wanted, with no old-fashioned constraints like melody and harmony and rhythm…

Wikipedia says he does a lot of stuff.

@HWZ
What Weckl does on “Multiplicity” is almost too good to be true. Love this album!

3 Likes

Weckl is sometimes said to be too much of a show-off. But if you listen to albums like “Synergy” or “Multiplicity” you’ll know this verdict isn’t fair. He can and does restrain himself when needed. He does “listen to what is going on around him”. Great musician!

2 Likes

Scott

We shall have to differ I’m afraid. To be fair I’m not a huge fan of the Beatles. Fantastic writing, up there with the great songwriters of the 20th and 21st centuries. I’m just not overly keen on them performing.

With some exceptions I should add. Sgt Peppers brilliant. I love Let It Be Naked (or whatever it was called - the stripped down version). And the title track to that is a classic, whether full fat or half fat. Although the drumming in it is a bit wooden…runs for cover!!:rofl:

Phil

1 Like

The second recommendation I’d like to make in this thread is the album “Outbreak” by drummer Dennis Chambers. The drum work on this album reflects Chambers’ outstanding technical skills, stylistic versatility and profound musical understanding.

5 Likes

Neil Peart of Rush has collaborated with some well
known drummers for his tribute to Buddy Rich
‘Burning for Buddy’…has a few cds.

Brian Blade, Roy Haynes, Tony Williams, Paul Motian, Eric Harland, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Steve Gadd, Billy Hart, Antonio Sanchez, Joey Baron, Manu Katche, Al Foster, Jeff Ballard, Gerald Cleaver, Marcus Gilmore, Jeff “Tain” Watts, Jon Christensen, Michal Miskiewicz, Louis Hayes, Ed Thigpen, Joe Fansworth.

Ginger Baker from Creme (my favorite example: White Room from Wheels of Fire)

John Bonham from Led Zeppelin (my favorite example: “Bonzo’s Montreux” from Coda)

2 Likes

Here are a few of my favorite heavy music drummers:

Bill Ward - Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Dave Lombardo - Slayer - South of Heaven
Dale Crover - Melvins - Honey Bucket
Chuck Biscuits - Danzig - Godless

2 Likes

Examples of recommendable albums?

What about the Animal from the Muppet Show? Check this out…:joy:

The actual battle starts at 1:02 (if you’re a little impatient…:grinning:). Sorry, the PQ is really poor.

6 Likes