What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Neil Peart. By far. His drumming on basically every Rush album out there is out of this world.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to GoGo Penguins " Man Made Object" this week. Drummer Rob Turner makes the album for me.

Me thinks Keith Carlock, currently touring with Steely Dan is an excellent time keeper.
Saw them in Buffalo at the Sheas Theatre and they were impressive, all the while
leaving a spot on the stage where Walter Becker would have stood. Sonics and drumming
were spot on.

Danny Carey from Tool…Rosetta Stoned.

3 Likes

To me a great drummer is one who can propel the music and make it interesting!
I dont know if he’s been mentioned but you cannot look past Simon Phillips!
F04F5927-701E-4375-BA64-B1674547327A
And, have a listen to his work with Hiromi, say Alive or Spark!

And one other who is out of question my favorite, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater fame:
4489BDC2-EEDE-440C-9F70-80ECB9466F23

4 Likes

Yes to Bruford. My personal favorite.

Michael Shrieve. Firstly, for that astounding performance at Woodstock aged 18, particularly Soul Sacrifice. Secondly, for helping to take Santana along the musical road that produced Caravanserai and Borboletta.

Buddy Rich Nobody better

1 Like

Perhaps — but if you watch the YouTube clip posted by @HWZ, you get the feeling that one day he might be accused of “Animal” cruelty! :joy: He totally demoralizes the poor beast…

3 Likes

Here’s another album with truly exceptional drum work on it. Albert Tootie Heath at his very finest! Exquisite timing, outstanding technique, immense musical creativity. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Check out Max Roach’s drum work on the album “Saxophone Colossus” (Sonny Rollins). What Roach plays on this album and how he plays it sounds incredibly fresh/modern… The recording was made in 1956!!!

5 Likes

It would be great if people who reply have a sense of what makes a great drummer. The ability to have all 4 limbs play independently, a command of the rudiments and the ability to play complicated time signatures would disqualify many of the popular replies so far such as Bonham, Keith Moon & Mic Fleetwood (Fleetwoood’s a hack at best).

Jazz and Latin jazz drummers are where you find the really talented drummers that transcend the drum kit from a time keeping device to a musical instrument. Drummers that have a mastery of the instrument include Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Tony Williams, Philly Joe Jones, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Bill Bruford, Manu Katche, Sonny Emory, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Bobby Colomby & many more.

To make my point, check out this video from little known drummer, Lee Pearson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FPkZOWBXw&list=RDBzRtPnjcPQo&index=10 . Most of the drummers mentioned in this blog don’t hold the sticks properly to get the incredible speed, control and dynamics that Lee exhibits in the video.

Another very musical and creative drummer is Ari Hoenig. Check out his debut ‘The Painter’ to get an idea of his playing, and feel free to explore further.

4 Likes

Hi @Brian_Santarcngelo!

Like you, I also find some of the above recommendations a little “surprising”, to put it mildly. However, the vast majority of the names you drop in your post have already been mentioned in this thread.

That’s a bit of an overgeneralization, I’m afraid. As an experienced session musician, who’s worked at recording studios and with bands/orchestras in (almost) every corner of the world (over the past 20 years or so), I can tell you there’re many great drummers out there — not all of them are jazz musicians!!! :grinning: I’m saying this as someone who mainly gets hired for jazz gigs…

BTW, Lee Pearson IS great (both as a person and a musician)!

2 Likes

Hi @Brian_Santarcngelo,

IMO you’re being incredibly presumptuous! And what’s more, most of your recommendations aren’t even new in this thread. Admittedly, the Lee Pearson clip is fantastic!

3 Likes

Yes, Ari Hoenig is fantastic!!! This is one of my favourite albums with him as a leader! Definitely well worth a listen. One of the highlights is “Arrows and Loops”, a Hoenig original (track 2)…

https://i.imgur.com/S6JEmRR.png

5 Likes

Drummers I have been following recently… In no particular order and some for pure feel and some for amazing chops!

Steve Smith, Jo Jo Mayer, Benny Greb, Anika Nilles, Tony Royston Jr

Drummers I admire that have added magic to great bands / albums

Stewart Copeland - The Police - Regatta De Blanc
Glenn Kotche - Wilco - Kicking Television: Live in Chicago
Dave Grohl - Nirvana - Nevermind
Pick Withers - Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Art Blakey - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin’

And just for laughs…

6 Likes

Da, da, da, da, radabba-dee-da — great fun to watch! :grinning: Thanks a lot, Jonathan!

Steve Gadd is to one of the most inspiring. Not only he has technique, but also musicality, which to me makes a lot of difference. Preferred albums: Tenderness, by Al Jarreau and supported by Marcus Miller on Bass. But also Gaucho by Steely Dan.

Bernard Purdie, for his famous shuffle which was inspiring to a lot of drummers. Inc Jeff Porcarro (e.g Toto Rosana)

Mark Guiliana, finally for his style. I really enjoyed when he was Gretchen Parlato Drummer. One of her good performance in 2013 can be listened to at this hyperlink: Mark Guiliana and Gretchen Parlato, 2013

Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Jack DeJohnette, you pick

1 Like