What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Really cool video and much better bass drum punch! Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Okay Temiz as discussed here.

1 Like

Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring is actually a ballet, something we often forget.
But it is from 1913, the Ford Model T was the Tesla of the time.
How do you rehearse a ballet? Can’t afford to bring in the orchestra, and no CD players.
Stravinsky wrote a version for two pianos.

The Rite of Spring is a forceful, percussive work.
In this version it acts as a reminder that the piano is a percussion instrument.
https://i.imgur.com/99zuZTl.png

@AndersVinberg
A very original recommendation!

Must be John Bonham with Keith Moon a close second

Bonzo … any track, Moony … especially Tommy

Mike

Not one of the usual suspects, Greg Saunier of Deerhoof is so damn compelling to me.

A most worthy listen is their album Reveille.

My opinion, of course.

Der.

Just listening to this album. :grinning:

JOE MORELLO was a brilliant drummer and a great musical innovator. Without him Dave Brubeck’s exploration of unusual time signatures (back in the 1950s and 1960s) wouldn’t have been the same.

Check out this solo (from 1964)…

7 Likes

+1 for Jack Dejohnette. Listen to Autumn Leaves on Keith Jarrett Live and the Blue Note. Between Keith left hand, Gary Peacock on bass, and DeJohnette, you have one of the tightest rhythm sections ever.

Highly recommend anyone visiting my home town of Chicago spend a Monday night at the Green Mill to see Patricia Barber. Her drummer John Dietemeyer is masterful. Probably comes as a surprise to those who haven’t seen her play live.

Never been a fan of Ringo. When John Lennon was asked about Ringo being named “best drummer in the world”, he replied “best drummer in the world? He’s not even the best drummer in The Beatles”

2 Likes

Check out Tupac Mantilla’s drum work in this YouTube clip…

5 Likes

…here he is again with the equally brilliant Julian Lage.

4 Likes

Johnathan Blake (Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio)! Have fun!

5 Likes

STEVE GADD (drums) and LUISITO QUINTERO (percussion)!
The Chick Corea and Steve Gadd Band live at the Blue Note in NYC…

5 Likes

Steve is incredible!!!

4 Likes

Quintero, too!

3 Likes

Funk drumming - Kenneth Benson!

5 Likes

@dabassgoesboomboom posted this link in the “Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk” thread.

He also recommended the album “Spread Her Wings”, which shows Dave’s incredible originality and sophistication. Thanks a lot, Sean!

RoonShareImage-636526784342336280
(24bit/88.2kHz)

5 Likes

No worries Will. I was just gonna link my post here in this thread but you beat me to it ! Thanks for sharing

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was looking for Questlove solo to share and bumped into this. Now I had to think twice, even thrice before sharing this particular video :joy: but Bieber (forgetting his antics for a small moment) is a decent drummer!

But back to an outstanding drummer, Questlove… how about two great dummers goin at it :star_struck:

And one more of Questlove:

1 Like

Speaking of two outstandig drummers…

4 Likes

Hi @Kopftelefon,

a really great video. That’s why I posted it in this thread about two months ago…:joy:

1 Like