Who has a turntable in their setup?

Lovely!
Looks a lot like an Well Tempered arm, is it so?
Ah, nevermind, i looked it up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the unique design of the Well Tempered arms. The Well Tempered TT’s offer something unique that directly tranlates to amazing sound quality. Wonderfull flow, pace and rhythm.

1 Like

I completely agree, although I don’t buy modern pressings any more. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky, or maybe pressings have improved since my last purchases some 4 or 5 years ago.

Even if this is the case, my days of vinyl purchases are over. Vinyl nowadays is ludicrously expensive by comparison with other media. I’m happy to live with the 800 or so LPs I already have and give them an occasional outing, but I’m more than happy to spend the vast majority of my listening time listening to my Roon music library.

Incidentally, although I have around 2.5k of my own CDs ripped to my NAS and in my Roon library, I no longer pay any attention to whether I’m listening to my own CDs or CDs streamed from Tidal or Qobuz via Roon. On my system (s) and to my ears, the differences are minimal and no longer worth bothering about.

I do love playing vinyl occasionally, but as much out of nostalgia as anything else.

4 Likes

Fully respect this position, even if i enjoy my vinyl playback way more.
Digital is “entertainment fast food” and vinyl is way more “at the event”, however at a significant cost.

Regarding the quality of vinyl i do definently see a quality improvement in the last few years also, so it’s a bit generic to state that all new vinyl is dynamically flat and of poor quality.

The vinyl prices are really exaggerated in my opinion. That’s my main problem and it has definitely made me buy fewer records. Unfortunately, the last record shop in the city where I live closed last year, and since I’m not an Am***n customer, I usually have to order LPs directly from the labels. This adds to the cost, which is why I rarely buy records anymore, rather I listen to new music via Qobuz and Roon.

On top of that, and I find this annoying, more and more albums are coming as double LPs, although neither length nor sound quality justify this in any way. Personally, I like it when an album that is 40 to 50 minutes long is also placed on two record sides.

2 Likes

Been listening to music a lot, as usual, but my Roon profile for the last 4 weeks -

Most of that was audition streaming some contemplated LP purchases.

1 Like

The table is not level.

The table “was” not level.
There, fixed it for you!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks,I was a bit worried about that.
The little things in setup matter.

1 Like

I had literally plonked it down, hooked it up to make sure it made noises and then took the photos.
Then I set it up.
And just today set up again as I just added a Soundsmith Zephyr mk3 to it.
And just about to sit down and test…

2 Likes

This looks pretty good…A little pricey, but lots of features. :rofl:

I think the fascination with vinyl must be people who didn’t grow up when that’s all there was. IDK. I remember when cars didn’t have A/C, but I want A/C.

6 Likes

A bit of elbow grease later

6 Likes

Thorens TD124 completely restored (probably originally made in the late 50’s) and an Ortofon SPU E Mk2 tracking at 4 grams. Giving my Totaldac a run for its money.

11 Likes

And the newly received and fitted/ aligned Soundsmith Zephyr mk3 MI cart on the Graham 2.2.

10 Likes

Pretty. How does it sound?

Great separation of instruments, very solid mids and highs, possibly a little light in the ultimate bass end but I still have some tweaking to try with vta etc.
It’s a very “you are there” with the musicians type of cartridge.

Liking it a lot so far

4 Likes

You heretic! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:joy:

That looks a lot like an Alfred Bokrand tonearm! I hear great thing about those!

Terrific platter!

looks right at home.

1 Like