Who has tried WiFi 6

I never wholly trust speedtest results as ISPs tend to prioritise the test downloads to make them look better.

Thatā€™s true, but itā€™s the home WiFi 6 network being discussed, I believe.

1 Like

Why are you limited to the ā€œin-router-WiFiā€ of your provider? I have switched it off and use a ASUS WIFI 6 Mesh-system.

A bit of clarity: I have to use the cable modem; there is no option to buy my own. :frowning: But the cable modemā€™s WiFi can be turned off and replaced with an externaldevice. Hence my question about WiFi 6.

hat is the way I did it.

1. Switch off the WiFi in the Router Setup
  2. Install a WiFi System which is able to deliver serive all over the house.

I have tried the WiFi inside the Router, not really bad but not to comapare with the ASUS WIFI 6 Mesh System

I have a Virgin media service in the UK and their router can be switched into modem mode where all services besides connectivity are turned off (I know not all devices will do this). But plugging that modem into the modem and driving it through an Orbi workā€™s like a dream.

We have three mesh points that act as switches and have never had a problem sending data even 24/96 to Roon in a different room.
Iā€™m not sure how the manufactures do the dedicated backhaul but itā€™s incredibly effective (maybe @wklie or someone else can speak to that) but it feels like having Ethernet cabled between the deviceā€™s and seems almost as reliable.

Only used Orbi and Linksys meshes this way myself with Tri band mesh but I would have to assume these have got even better over the 3 or 4 years since I bought mine

1 Like

Thatā€™s the plan, Axel. Way ahead of you.

Ahead? It is already working since several years. I just changend from Devolo to ASUS.

Going Optical solved my speed issuesā€¦I get 350Mbps on my iPad I use for controlling Roon.

I use a Linksys Modem to spread WiFi5 around the houseā€¦

The 920Mbps is not WiFi throughput, is it?

Impressive. So its not quite ā€œgig-speedā€ but a hell of a lot better than 5ghz WiFi.

1 Like

Well itā€™s even quicker in the morningā€¦But throughput I have only two computers getting the signal directly and they both measure the same speed ratingā€¦

If that is on wifi that is incredible!

Never bothered with any speed tests as I have no issues that I know of but I just did one out of curiosity and it came out at 53.6mbps on my android phone.
Interesting it was no different about 2 feet from the modem or downstairs in the garage which is about end of its range.

Wi-Fi 6 is 2.4/5 GHz, the same as 802.11ac.

AJ

Kevin,

Thatā€™s a wired connection straight to one of my Mac Miniā€™. I have two hard wired Mac Miniā€™s .I donā€™t get that speed wireless to my iPhone or iPadā€¦like I posted yesterday, I get about 350Mbps to my portable devicesā€¦.

1 Like

Still , 350mbps is extremely fast for wifi IMHO, at least compared to mineā€¦lol.
Pretty sure our service is only 100mbps coming in, canā€™t remember what the heck I even pay for.
May have to investigate.
Thanks Larry.

1 Like

Just for a reference, I use Sonic here in Northern California for my Optical signal supplied Internet services. It costs me $60/month. I think you are 3000 miles away in Florida ā€¦no?

Yes NE Florida.
Been tied into AT&T but going to research my options now after reading this thread .
The main TV is on WiFi for Netflix and Plex atm, it does not have a hard wired option so wifi6 may well work out well .

Not too shabby. My DSL connection is 18,8 Mbit/s. :smiley:

That shows 1 Mbps doesnt it? Or am I misreading the decimal point?