Why am I having hiccups after much success

Roon Core Machine

Cisco UCS C220M3 (yes, its end of life, but no reason for this issue out of the blue)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

goolgefiber----netgreat R7000 [DD-WRT v3.0-r50841 std (11/08/22)–gigE–pi4{VitOS[hifiberryDAC+]}

Connected Audio Devices

Pi4 w/HiFiBerry DAC+ running Latest VitOS(main thing)
Fire tablet with connected speakers(Garage)
M1 mac (sometimes)
iphone XR(Sometimes)

Number of Tracks in Library

4887 tracks

Description of Issue

Everything has been working well for quite a while (2+ years), I run my own server and roon server is a VM there with 1024GB space and 4G mem ESXI 6.7(yes, I know)
I will be playing something, does not seem to matter if its a local file or streaming a station and the stream will just stop on all devices sometimes for 2s-5s then resumes or it does not resume “uh oh, somethings not right Make sure roon core is turned on…” I see a lot of "audio file is loading slowly and a lot of other messages indicating system slowness. yet CPU and mem on the host are OK - no spikes when this is happens
<clicks paste and frowns - it does not work>
I don’t really care if I have to blow up the whole VM and reinstall, but would like to keep the music db intact and I’m a little bit ■■■■■■ that I even have to deal with this crap on a product that a pay a pretty hefty monthly fee for.
(many growls from this direction) I don’t give a flying f&ck about new features, give me stability or I will migrate to somewhere else. (this was NOT generated by chatgbt, thankyouverymuch)

I will add for clarity that this has just started happening in the last 2 weeks

Linux ns1 5.4.0-136-generic #153-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 24 15:56:58 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mzO4ZNpUWCwLQaktLg0xMwRthlEHOGvq?usp=sharing

Let me know what else you want to see, pcaps, logs or whatever, I’m an IT guy but I really(really) don’t want to spend my time time trouble shooting a product that I pay for(unless we can reverse that revenue stream for a month or 2)

Hi Chester,

Running Roon in a VM is not an officially supported environment. It is considered Tinkering. Roon does not stop users from using their software in unsupported environments which is great for the tinkerers among us; however, when you do so, you are also taking on the ongoing support for that environment.

I am moving this post to the Tinkering section so other users who may also be using your environment can help you with diagnosing and resolving your issue.

If this does not work for you, then I would recommend running Roon in an officially supported environment for the stability and support you are looking for.

Rugby

1 Like

Thanks big Dan - understood(this is the answer I have to give to my customers at times :wink: was working so well too. Going o give ROCK a go as it’s own VM - commence tinkering…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.