Why are some songs without sound? (TIDAL, MQA)

I did the same with the E2 and the RPI, regrefully no success… Then again I think our issues are not the same, but thanks for contributing. Brgds, Rene

Hi @Rene_Zwart — Thank you for the continued feedback and my apologies for slow response.

Moving forward, I had a chance to touch base with my techs today and mentioned that you were still experiencing this behavior with the E2. We’d expect to see this type of behavior if either the volume was all the way down (which I assume is NOT the case) or something is happening with the explorer. My advice is to follow up with Meridian and let us know if there’s anything else we can do.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I have done some further testing and somehow feel it has the be an issue with the E2.

I have connected the E2 to the computer that runs the Roon core (running Ubuntu latest long support version) and noted similar behaviors. The E2 was during this testing connected to a different audio system all together.

I tested with some Tidal MQA playlists and had in the original set-up as well as directly connected to the core the same music not playing. I noted another interesting thing (?) in that when the playlist jumps to the next song the blue light momentarily goes off and comes on again when the next song starts to play (as per Roon indication), however some of those songs don’t produce sound.

Regretfully I have not got a lot of MQA music myself (only some 2L songs) to test the unit without Roon over multiple music ranges (bit depth etc.), so I’m a bit at a dead end here.

The fact that with some songs the MQA flag comes on, but no sound and a next song could then play again makes me feel that Roon is working as expected, but for whatever reason the E2 doesn’t want to play some of it.

I have advised Meridian USA of the above and am waiting for their response.

Brgds, Rene

1 Like

To update - Meridian have offered to exchange the unit, so that’s what is happening.

Brgds, Rene

2 Likes