Why can't I favorite TIDAL tracks in a playlist?

Thanks for the detailed report. I think what you’re describing is actually a different issue, which is independent from the bug I was discussing above.

A couple points to keep in mind:

First, in Roon Favorites are tracks, albums, artists, etc in your library that you’ve marked as such. It’s a subset of your library, and will show up when you filter the various browsers to only show favorites. So, to be clear, you cannot favorite TIDAL content that’s not in your library.

We do have an issue here, which is that if you add a TIDAL track to a playlist without adding that track to your library, we shouldn’t be giving you the option to Favorite the track. That would be confusing, since it’s not going to show up when you browse your Favorite tracks.

Second, when you add TIDAL content to your library, we treat it like we would if you had the files locally. Once it’s in your library, a TIDAL album can be marked as a Favorite, you can edit the metadata, etc, and it may or may not have the album’s entire track list as it appears on TIDAL. You are in control of the albums in your library, even if the content is streaming from TIDAL.

That said, the album in your library is distinct from the version on TIDAL, which cannot be edited, and will always have the entire track list. This is a subtle distinction, but for a variety of reasons we have to treat these as distinct, and you can always navigate to the TIDAL version of an album from a variety of places in Roon (like you would need to if you had a partial album and wanted to add the missing tracks.)

Point being, if the tracks in your playlist are not from your library, you won’t be able to favorite them. These distinctions are a bit subtle, but they’re also distinct from the intermittent issues discussed above.