Why did Roon spontaneously revert itself from Roon 2.0 to 1.8? [Fixed: Update Server Error, Update To v2.0 Using Migration FAQ]

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock Intel i3 NUC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

USB AudioGD R7HE21 DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I was on 2.0. It was working fine. Roon requested an update. After that I’m back on 1.8 version !
I have created the Data\branches folder with the roon file in it. Content of roon file is production as expected.
Did reinstall all
==> Still on 1.8

I can provide screenshots if needed.

Roon is totally unusable for now.
Please help quickly.

Now using Roon Legacy Remote. When doing about, it does NOT propose to migrate to 2.0.

Seriously such a bug ???
It’s a shame, it’s a lack of testing, a lack of respects of the customers.
Again a such bug and I will resign and go back to Daphile !!!
Very angry customer here.
I hope it will be fixed before Wedsneday !!! (We are Sunday currently)

Thanks.

Hi, @XAVIER_POUYOLLON, could you, please, provide a screenshot of the Settings → About screen?

I should point out that we did not receive many complaints about similar issue but we are going to investigate the issue you are having.

Thanks!

Ivan

Ivan, there’s many, with a lot of posts over the weekend of people suffering the same issue.

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

There are many screenshots.

• Rock and remote was on 2.0
  • Rock reverted to 1.8
  • The Data/branches/roon (roon_2-0) did NOT work
  • I tried to even reset the database, it failed
  • I have reinstalled from USB.

From Android Roon Remote 2.0 Wifi connection:

• I was able to connect once. Now it is blocked on connecting (clearing Android app cache did not solve the issueà

From Windows from Roon Wifi connection

• I can connect

==> I can safely say my Wifi issue is NOT a router issue on my side.
Seems Roon Remote 2.0 has issue connecting through Wifi…

As you can read, lots of problems :frowning: Not very happy.

If your Roon Remote is running version 2.0, and your Core is running 1.8, then you won’t be able to connect - nothing to do with using Wifi.

If your Windows Remote is able to connect to your Core, then I suspect that your Windows Remote is also now on version 1.8.

As Ivan says, a screenshot of the Settings > About screen would be very useful.

Hi Geoff,

Due to the mess 2.0->1.8, I have reinstalled everything from scratch

Roon Rock: Reinstalled with USB Key
Roon Remote: Installed latest version.

And I have this now…

However, I can connect for WIndows using Roon App even in Wifi.
Seems Roon Remote is also broken :frowning:
I have used Roon remote on 3 differents machines (2 Chromebook, Galaxy S20+ smartphone) and same problem. It used to work before.

Note: Indexing is still in progress… That may explain why Roon Remote can’t connect but in that case it is a huge bug !

(it may deserve a separate topic)

Roon Core Machine

Core i3 Rock

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Rock on ethernet
Roon remote on Wifi android

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Due to the mess 2.0->1.8, I have reinstalled everything from scratch

Roon Rock: Reinstalled with USB Key
Roon Remote: Installed latest version.

And I have this now…

However, I can connect from WIndows using Roon App even in Wifi.
Seems Roon Remote is also broken :frowning:
I have used Roon remote on 3 differents machines (2 Chromebook, Galaxy S20+ smartphone) and same problem. It used to work before without issue.

Note: Indexing is still in progress… That may explain why Roon Remote can’t connect but in that case it is a huge bug !

Please don’t open multiple support threads on the same topic. I’ve moved your new request into this existing support thread to keep every thing in the same place.

If you can connect to your Core from your Windows Remote, then please show a screenshot of the Settings > About screen as has been requested. Thanks.

Here is the screenshot:

This is absolutely not true.

Here’s my from complaint Sunday that is echoed by others.

As of today Settings++>About doesn’t prompt for an update if one is running ROCK V2.0, but it did Sunday morning.

1 Like

Geoff,

There are 2 issues:

• The automatic downgrade of Rock from 2->1.8 and impossible to upgrade it back to 2.0 (unless I do a clean installation)

• Since I have reinstalled everything, the connection issue.

That’s why I made a separate subject.

@xxx, sorry for not being accurate. What I tried to say is that it’s not every RoonOS install affected. We are investigating this and have not been able to reproduce it locally.

Apologies for the trouble.

Ivan

Also, the procedures from updating a ROCK from Legacy V1.8 to V2.0 don’t work.

Sorry to jump in again. Are the logs from the machines any help at all? I’ve seen one user post a log which complained about the branches folder and connection to the room server URL. However the pair has since been moved or deleted, so I am unable to link it directly to you.

I had this problem (ROCK downgraded itself to 1.8)
I fixed it by installing the legacy 1.8 remote, connecting to the core, then going to the settings/about screen - thats what prompted it to update again to 2.0.

I’m super annoyed by my connection issue.
In fact, I have 2 Rock on my network

• One Rock which is my server
  • Another Rocker with is my Rock endpoint.

I can connect to the endpoint, no issue:

But not to Rock Server. Please help but currently I need to use windows PC to play songs :frowning:

Geoff, this entry should be in my other thread that you have linked to this one - which in my opinion is a mistake -

Again, I’m using Roon Remote on Android.

That didn’t work for me.

I finally tossed in the towel and reinstalled ROCK from square one.

And do you experience the issue I’m having ? Can’t connect from Roon Remote :frowning:

No, running ROCK V2.0 and Roon V2.0 Remote under WIN11.

If you’re having problems connecting to ROCK V2.0 from a Windows Roon Remote running V2.0, try restarting the Remote. That’s what I had to do.