Why do people hate jazz?

Yeah, uni is VERY polarizing!

My daughter and I like it a lot. My wife and my son hate it… (Both “kids” are adults!)

Have a look at this Reddit find below. i think it’s great and worth thousands of words :wink:.

6 Likes

Rap? Which I don’t personally view as music. But some people like it, and to each his/her own…

Really? What about Fugees, De La Soul, Gnarls Barkley, OutKast, Gorillaz, Lauren Hill … All have produced outstanding albums.

2 Likes

Agree and would add A Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys.

1 Like

Yes, A Tribe Called Quest … Jazz-Rap! I’m partial to a little Eminem too.

Is that Rap??? My feeling is music is much like candy, it’s all good except the wrappers.

To each his own.

Just think of it as singing slowly or poetry with music. :slight_smile:

Not much for poetry either…:wink:

I think I’ll put you down as a lost cause! :laughing:

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

Is that great? It’s one of my favourite poems by Robert Frost.

1 Like

Fair enough. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Dr Dre - The Chronic …classic rap album, not music ?? Have a listen :grinning:

Ahmad Jamal, some of his recent stuff.

1:30 piano improv and the the band kicks in. I love his stuff for the percussion and use of silence, he isn’t a busy player.

3 Likes

@womaz

Afraid I’m pretty set in my ways. I find the thought of rap distasteful. As Martin said I’m a lost cause.

I’ll stick to my rock, pop, new wave, and touch of classical music. What makes music great is that there are lots of choices. Something for everyone.

It’s like food, I don’t like fish, and never will…:wink:

1 Like

Yes I think that’s how I feel about jazz. Don’t hate it , but lots of other stuff I like that will always get prioritised

1 Like

Hah, i’m vindicated!

For those who think jazz is staid and boring and doesn’t swing, I offer Hiromi.
11 minutes of riotous sound, and as far as I can tell it is note-perfect of the CD version.

1 Like

Mostly thanks to Simon Philips IMO :smiley:

1 Like

So if the Ellington Back to Back was enjoyable, try Ellington Unknown Session. My favorite. And try Frank Zappa. Jazz and blues disguised as rock. Allman Brothers. Lots of music that isn’t “jazz” because people don’t like jazz. But they do love extended improvisation on pentatonic chord progressions with interesting rhythm…

1 Like

For me, one of the bumps to a better liking of jazz was harmonic expectations. Modern music draws heavily on a pentatonic tradition, and even passages that depart from it often treat a return to pentatonic stability as a resolution. There are many skilled musicians who can integrate seemingly any interval or chord into a context that makes musical “sense”, but some jazz players, especially Hard Bop or Post Bop, seem to delight in progressions that challenge our prejudices about what sounds musical. I think this is a road where each listener has to decide for themselves how far they want to venture down it, and that can change with time.

David Rawlings tells a great story about a Country musician he respected complaining to him that the guitar in the opening bars of “Time (the Revelator)” was out of tune. He went back over the tapes and listened intently, sure that he’d checked everything on the day, and couldn’t hear the problem. It was only after spending some time listening that he realised the person was talking about the dissonant 2nd interval that starts the song. For that person a second was always going to be heard as a mistake or “wrong”. As David intended, however, I hear those bars now as beautiful. It’s the chance that I might eventually hear similar beauty in other unfamiliar progressions that keeps me interested in Jazz beyond a first listen. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I just don’t.

4 Likes