Why do some classical records show up under composer and others not?sof

Hi, Mike.

Whether or not you’re perceived as rude, it’s easy to become rude when discussing classical music tags.

I’m taking a long vacation from digital music files, and listen almost exclusively to CD and vinyl of late. It’s a good thing I bought a lifetime of Roon, because I likely would have let it lapse by now. And I would never have, as many Roon users seem to, ripped my entire CD collection then discarded it. After the new and improved Roon organization I could hardly find anything in my collection!

One of these days I’ll get my tags in order. My favorite ripper and tagger is still JRiver. Worth the price just for that.

I don’t appreciate software developers suddenly changing the way my collection is organized, any more than I would someone coming to my house and sorting my records by performer instead of by composer.

Hi David

I share your sentiment.

My vinyl was a casualty of space in a container when I emigrated from the UK to South Africa in 1996. I adopted CDs but ripped them 10 years ago before Roon , using JRiver.

My CDs are long gone. I have no physical media CD, DVD even books . I got my first Kindle in 2010 ! and haven’t read a paper book since .

I often wonder if Roon is over complicated and still keep my JRiver library current. These days I am trying to minimise screen time, old neck problems and general old age aches and pains :joy:) so Roon automation is good .

I didn’t go life so I am still annual, it’s a mental “battle” every year.

My Cambridge Audio CXN is a V1 so not Roon ready, I use a RPi and often wonder why my 25 x value streamer sits idle when I use a cheap SBC.

Add to that JRiver allows me to “slice and dice” my collection in may ways Roon can’t BUT it can only do that once the metadata is groomed. After 10 years mine is but even so I always find myself tweaking bits.

My answer is simple “use em both” !

Happy listening

I have the luxury of space for my books, records, Cd’s and DVD’s. My answer of “use em both” applies to physical media and digital files (but not so much of the latter lately).

I’ve bought a few downloads from HD Tracks, and a few other sources. With classical music, at any rate, that is no guarantee the metadata isn’t in need of grooming. My patience for that task wears thin. I spend a lot of time with computers at work. When I’m home, I just want to listen. I don’t mind grooming vinyl, and have a VPI HW17 for that purpose. Once in a while I endeavor to sit down and do the ripping and tagging task, a little at a time, until I decide I’d rather be doing something else. It hasn’t gone very quickly.

I would pay money for a piece of software that takes in a classical CD and automatically spits out perfectly tagged files, to better than 90% accuracy. I wouldn’t trust many humans to do it for me, considering what still passes for metadata.

Agree. I get very annoyed when I purchase digital classical music and it comes with garbage meta-data. If I am ripping it myself, I don’t mind doing it right the first time. But, cleaning up what someone else should have gotten right, is … annoying.

I had neck vertebrae fusion 15 years ago (Google it , quite a hairy op with a man drilling a mm from your spinal cord) . According to the neurosurgeon it was brought on by too much screen use .

Watch how you position your neck when you are looking at small print on a screen with you head forward compressing the back of your neck !!

15 years on the vertebrae above and below the fusion are taking strain so I try desperately (if not very well) to minimize screen time .

Maintaining a classical collection by manual metadata grooming doesn’t really fit that bill , so Roon was a godsend doing most of the grunt work for me .

Getting old isn’t for the faint hearted :smiling_imp:

I’m with you there. I’ve had my own share of issues. I do back and neck stretches every morning, and used to visit a licensed massage therapist before the pandemic. Hope to again soon. I try not to do anything stupid, but admit I’m not that careful about how I look at the screen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.