Why have a digital archive when you can stream all?

I get asked this often but it is not that often that I am reminded to “why”. Here is one of why’s:

I just wanted to listen to “A Passion Play” album by Jethro Tull. I was lazy, so I wanted to use streaming. I found:

• A Steven Wilson Remix 48kHz (because it is the 11th commandment that He ought to remix all Tull),
  • A 2003 Remaster (sadly no Wilson this time),
  • A 2014 Remaster (remixed by Wilson, I suspect this is same as the first listed Remix with 44.1kHz),
  • An Extended Performance (remixed to 5.1 and stereo by Wilson).

But, I could not find the original album. The album was released in 1973 so there was no digital back then. The closest thing available is the 2003 remaster. I have the original album in my digital archive, maybe it was ripped from the LP or a CD, but it is the original. I can hear the differences introduced while an album gets remastered, so this means my original version is lost if you want to hear it today as it was. You should maintain and hold on to your archives, especially if you like the classics, before future Mr Wilsons get their mighty hands on it :slight_smile:

16 Likes

The world is a better place with both options available, but yes it is very good to go back to an original version of an album as you remember it. But also nice to try the Wilson remasters before going back and enjoying the original.

3 Likes

My archive’s are called records and cassette tapes…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

And are you able to hop to these archive control devices successfully at this point?

Foot good I hope?

1 Like

Then you should maintain and hold on to your decks. You’ll continue to find decent turntables but cassette decks may become scarce.
I have the “Rising” album by Rainbow on LP, CD and cassette. Each sound different, meaning different source material in production (I am pretty sure my equipment isn’t coloring things up). Things get more complicated when you stream. Luckily the streamable version of Rising does not contain bonus material, which I hate in general (I exclude the Deluxe Expanded Edition version w.19 tracks).

3 Likes

Much better!
And being on a serious diet is helping.
Every lb lost equals approx 4 lb on knee and ankle joints.

1 Like

I re-bought Rising on CD recently as my cassette rip was not good.
Thankfully it is a good CD and sounds great

1 Like

Seriously though, yes it is near impossible to find an original untouched 60,s or 70,s album, at least in the rock genre on Qobuz.

And yes I also despise all the extended deluxe versions with demo and studio outtakes clogging them up.

3 Likes

That was the first CD I bought. I didn’t even have a CD player back then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good news on both, though I imagine just standing outside takes the lbs off in sweat.
31 Oc here for the second day in a row.
I’m sure we’ll be hearing the drought alarm within a couple of weeks :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Good point! Sometimes I just want to play the original album, sometimes all the outtakes/live etc, rarely do I want them together.

2 Likes

Yes I make sure I split them out into a CD 2, but then of course you have to remember to only play CD 1.

I’m too lazy for that. I originally got Roon as I couldn’t be bothered to find the artwork that iTunes missed (a lot). It was worth the lifetime fee alone for that.

1 Like

I think this will be true but mostly due to the loss of tech’s who know how to work on them and keep them working.

After all a belt drive TT is about as simple as it gets!

But a cassette deck at the height of the Japanese golden era with three heads, dual motors etc…scary inside one of them!

1 Like

I only do it on the new stuff I add, but I add quite a lot and you are correct it is effort to do.

1 Like

Just be ready to edit found artwork as I had to do for Blind Faith, since I like the controversial album cover better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have found a few like that. I scowled and put up with them!

1 Like

Will be the closest you get to the original release on streaming.

2 Likes

You can’t stream it all. That’s why you have a digital library.

1 Like

Agreed, I have a bunch of vinyl’s that I can’t stream! Plus, different formats give you different listening experiences!

1 Like