Why I Left Roon

Hi everyone, I took advantage of roon free trial some time ago. My system is basically a squeezebox which connects to tidal, deezer and HD storage on my laptop via dlna. I also have a secondary system of bluesound node 2i, a HD of my music connected to the bluesound and bluesound also connects to tidal and deezer. My HD contains about 3000 CD/Lp digitised to flac files. The bluesound os is fantastic and I use Squeezepad for my iPad controller of the squeezebox which is also extremely good. After playing around with roon I am yet to find any advantage over what I already have and am perplexed by the fanatical following of roon. It’s not a bad piece of software but I can not find anything special about it that would entice me to spend more than $50.00. Am I missing something? I’ve been an audiophile for nearly 55 years and this fanatical chasing of higher bit/sampling rates is crazy. Sure it sounds slightly different but not better than 16/44.1. Furthermore mqa coding by tidal is simply messing with music by applying different alogrithms and it is not some big advance in music production. It’s no different to different dacs applying different filters. Let’s sit back and think logically about where in the hifi chain are improvements best applied and it is not in software.

4 Likes