Why I will not buy Roon

Thanks for this, @Craig_Palmer! This is without a doubt the best joke of 2020!

Intelligent :rofl::rofl::rofl: My sides hurt!

It’s all relative…:slight_smile:

I knew eventually we would get down to the thorny issue of debating what constitutes intelligence :slight_smile:

That post would fit perfectly in another thread I was just reading.

1 Like

I think they closed it again :wink:

2 Likes

I am a Roon lifelong subscriber. I didn’t went through thousands of post about the discussion of its running, that’s simply too much. I actually don’t like something from Roon:

1. It will never set up a ‘folder’ view for those who don’t have the time to organize music HER WAY. I endup using Foobar more often.

2. I heard some non-Roon-ready devices which could be identifiable and could run with Roon, were barred from connecting to Roon since AUG (?) 2019. I was stunned by that news.

Roon has been saying it has to find a way to survive and make it profitable - no one could know the validity of this claim unless you are inside the financial core of the company. I really can’t say any comment on this.

But from my two points stated above, me, as an average user, I have the feeling that Roon likes to create a ‘zone’ which bar people out (Roon-ready) rather than let people in. This ‘Roon-ready’ thing, to me, isn’t purely a technical issue. In a world celebrating diversity and inclusion, I hope the company won’t make the worst use of ‘Roon-ready’.

Simply put, blame less about those who are not Roon-ready, or audio manufacturers that don’t even have a chance to be considered as Roon-ready. Roon-ready itself is something beyond technical.

My two cents.

3 Likes

Maybe if you read a few of the posts on the subjects you mention you wouldn’t miss the target so much.

I will not comment on the folder browsing as I’ve never used that. For Roon Ready there are license terms that must be followed, but there is no license cost involved. It’s free. I do not remember that anyone from Roon has expressed any restrictions on who can add Roon Ready to their devices. It’s more the opposite, the more the better. That is probably the main reason why it is free.
Keep in mind that manufacturers got information on the Roon Ready license enforcement a long time before August 2019 (not August, September actually)

2 Likes

Roon Ready enforcement protects both Roon and the customer.
There were to much claims for Roon Readyness that were not true, and people bought equipment on those claims.
They end up being cheated by the equipment manufactorer, not by Roon.

7 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Roon does not charge a licence fee to the manufacturers for its use

There only one reason: do not have the money to pay for It.

If you have, buy It, and you will not regret.

Yes, It is expensive. But value…

Roon should either announce a date for a price increase and/or an end date for lifetime subs. This would get a lot of people off the fence and help them financially.

1 Like

No.

@danny already explained why, multiple times.

In his words:

“If you have the cash and want the lifetime, go for it while it lasts. If you don’t, the annual is the right thing for you (and for us)…”

Clear 'nuff ?

3 Likes

Just when I think I can guess which way a thread is going to go I get treated to pathways I could never have imagined!

1 Like

Well there’s a constant here that as a thread grows longer, the probability of someone bringing up lifetime, MQA, or folder browsing approaches one :wink:

13 Likes

I own 201 LP’s, 124 Cassettes, and 1,370 CD’s and maybe 5 digital downloads. All my CD’s are rip to FLAC to listen through ROON. I am digitizing some of my LP’s as well. I love ROON for many things but on most days I spin LP’s, play CD’s, and stream with ROON, Qubuz, or UPnN. They all have there place and while my collection is greater then some it pales to others. I never have enough time in the day to listen to all the different artists I would like.

1 Like

Fascinating…

6 posts were split to a new topic: I’ve never understood ripping vinyl

Interesting thread. I use Roon with a ~200K track library, and have also recognized a bit of “mission drift” in the radio feature as it gets deeper into a session. Not always and not with everything. I often use this feature with pretty obscure world music tracks as seeds, so the problem, I suspect, is just a poverty of tracks Roon knows to be similar.

One example I’d give that I think works somewhat better within a library is the old Subsonic branch called musiccabinet, which used last.fm affinity data to drive it’s choices, I believe. It worked very well, I thought.

Funny reading through the ridiculous complaints. Some folks will never be happy. Long live Roon.

4 Likes

Some are not ridiculous. Still a good program overall.

1 Like