Why is ARC a separate app?

I just keep wondering this. I know it’s designed for on the go versus normal Roon for in-house, but that is not really an answer.

What were the reasons for making it a separate app?

Just out of curiosity (from a software developer)…

1 Like

They did discuss this in the beta forum a bit. They could have gone either way but I think it was easier to get this out the door sooner with a new app than fitting it into the current one and they felt this was more important as it’s the most requested feature… Things may change as it develop and nothings been ruled out.

Tbh I think ARC is way more stable than the normal remote and seems to be more responsive to network fluctuations for playback. I say this is a more stable base to add on to than the current remote.

3 Likes

I think there might be a clue in the Roon ARC FAQ…

Question from the FAQ: “Does ARC control Roon Zones?”

Answer: “Not yet. For now, ARC supports playback through your phone, tablet, or DAP using built-in outputs, USB, Bluetooth, and AirPlay depending on what your device supports. Allowing control of Roon zones is something we have planned for the future.”

I don’t see the point in adding the ability to control Roon zones to the ARC app unless Roon is, at least at time of writing the FAQ, actively considering evolving the ARC app to the point where it can also act as a controller for one’s home setup when listening at home.

Well, I suppose the zone control feature might be fun to play pranks on other members of one’s family when you’re out and they are still at home listening to music by messing with the home setup (might it even include a single click Rickrolling feature?) but beyond that, and maybe I’m missing something, it really does seem to be a planned-for-the-future feature aimed at evolving the ARC app to do more of what the Roon Remote app can do.

2 Likes

Lol. That would be awesome.