Why is it so difficult to delete music?

That shouldn’t surprise me that the majority stream, but it does for some reason.

I’m personally more than happy to live by my own natural stupidity rather than to be “protected” by the internet (and by extension by some smart developers/programmers/managers who know better what is best for the rest of the fools).

That makes you the poster child for why there are safeguards. :joy:

1 Like

I’m glad deleting files is not super easy. I manage my library with beets and don’t want any other software touching the file management aspect of my library. I wish there was some way to disable deleting entirely.

Every computer system implements “thrash can semantics”, I.e. you can go look in the trash can, find something and restore it. And every now and then, when the trash can is full, you have to empty it. You can burn part of it, or empty it altogether. Because of this we can remove the “are you sure” prompt, having both would be belts and suspenders. Trash can is much less intrusive than “are you sure”. And much more effective, when you are sure 9,999 times out of 10,000 you routinely confirm even for that one time when you shouldn’t. Confirmation for a destructive operation does not work, this has been known for decades. Aside from being annoying.

So I have asked Roon to implement safe delete. This is work. But we already have it in Hide. All we need to do is rename Hide to Delete.

And remove hard Delete. If you want to manage your disk, that’s something you do in the OS.

6 Likes

Personally I’d be much more worried about deletion from a streaming service than locally. My local library on my NUC SSD is just synced from a master copy elsewhere - it is entirely disposable. Streaming services are much more problematic - if another member of the household accidentally deleted an arbitrary selection of streaming albums I’d have no idea and no record of what to restore (afaik).

In that regard the suggestion from @AndersVinberg makes sense to me.

1 Like

Personally I like the way it is because Roon is designed for playing, not for managing the library. E.g. I use former iTunes to intake files into the ”right” folder with clean files tags; then I let Roon do all the rest on its end.

1 Like

Yup, smart things are made for stupid people. And they function accordingly…

Well I been one of those who stupidity caught up with.
I once accidentally deleted my library… I was lucky enough to revert back via nas snapshots and the majority of my music was restored.

I now use syncthing to sync my nas music volume to my Roon Server.

You might night be stupid but… stupid can catch up to you :slight_smile:

I agree with @AndersVinberg on this. Even the crappiest desktop computer allows you to get rid of stuff, then restore it if you realise it was a mistake. In Word, Excel etc. you can simply ‘undo’ your previous action. If you delete anything, you can find it in the bin and restore it on any Mac or PC. Even my Naim Unitiserve can do this. It would be nice if Roon could too.

Or, rather the other way around…
I’d prefer if Roon was in ALL aspects non-destructive…
Removing a favorite from Tidal/Qobuz is not a destructive move in my opinion, you can always add it back if you prefer.

However, deleting local files should be banished from Roon. Hide them from your Roon Lib, fine, but in no way should Roon mess with my local files. (Regardless of whether they are on an internal SATA, externa USB or on a LAN/WLAN share with write access)

1 Like

I don’t think Roon is the place to delete anything, especially local files. I want to sleep easy that my treasured library is safe, if I manually delete something outside of Roon, in a “watched folder”, Roon will pick up the change and adjust its database… I’m not sure how this works with streaming services as I don’t use them.

1 Like

I agree. I would prefer to have Roon setup to not delete any real files, period. My normal way of deleting tracks and albums myself using my computer to access my Roon Core storage.

1 Like

I can see where you’re coming from, not least because I am not solely wedded to Roon, I still use UPnP at the moment. Still, I don’t see why Roon couldn’t be used as a tool to manage a library as well as any other interface, and given its other wide ranging capabilities, having to fire up a computer and start managing files and folders strikes me as a slightly archaic way to do things in 2020.

In other areas, Roon likes to present you with loads of options that you never knew you needed. I can’t see why a user configurable option to hide or delete (and restore) files would be incompatible with that.

In database apps i have designed, i always have MarkAsDeleted bit field, no records ever being deleted just in case

Then a maintenance tool to CleanUpOrphans in a serioulsly controlled manner by an admin

Call me paranoid

I manage all deletion in Windows and let Roon catch up

I am paranoid not that i have had any reason to be :blush:

1 Like

But I repeat, why do you want to delete the files (as opposed to hide the album in Roon)?

If your answer has to do with managing resources in the computer, then you are managing the computer and doing it in the computer seems reasonable.

Two separate options, “Remove from library” and “Permanently delete” would address most of these issues. “Remove from library” is the inverse of “Add to library” so is perfect for Qobuz and Tidal content. There needn’t be any confirmation, because it is reversible. “Permanently Delete” could keep its confirmation. I also don’t find it intuitive that the delete option is inside the Edit option - why not have it at the same level? These two suggestions would get rid of some irritatingly excessive key clicks and not introduce any dangers,

2 Likes

Generally, I don’t, it was the OP’s question. I do very rarely delete albums if they haven’t ripped properly or if I later find a better version, for example. I can do this quickly and easily via the Naim interface I normally use for ripping, metadata editing, serving etc, but if I was using Roon exclusively instead of UPnP, I can see that it would be a useful feature.

I also use legacy iTunes for file management and tagging. I rarely make changes to my library files from within Roon as I do not see it as any sort of optimal file manager. And on the occasions I do delete from Roon I am more than happy to take the extra steps.