Why is Roon broken so much since 1.6

At least search in Roon waits for Roonlabs servers to do something somehow. How it really works and what happens only Roonlabs can explain - if they want to. :wink:

Even so it might be frustrating it’s probably helpful to give as much data points to the Roonlabs team about the issues you see as possible. Of course if the issue persists and behaviour doesn’t change over time it’s a different thing. But if it works one day and not the other, then report it - it might be helpful to establish patterns. Some stuff in the logs may make more sense for the Roonlabs team if they can match it to customer complaints with timestamps.

How do you know? Are you privy to Roon latency and bug report statistics? Hyperbole does not help in tracking down a problem. Just to give a counterexample, just searched for “Miles” and in a few seconds I had a multitude of results for Miles Davis, Miles Okazaki, Ron Miles, Buddy Miles, … from both my local library and Qobuz. Meaning search slowness is not an easily replicable problem.

Hyperbole: “exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.”

How do I know? There are multiple reports of this very issue all over the the Forum. I actually read the other accounts. Have you?

Yes, I have. Do you know how many other users are not having the problem and thus not writing? Or have it only very intermittently, like me?

@Fernando_Pereira - OK, so you don’t have the issue, you aren’t contributing to the solution, yet you have endless comments. Do you really want to be labeled as a Troll on an audiophile forum?

@support - is there a way to dim individual contributors?

I haven’t found a reason to try Qobuz and it looks like I will be staying with Tidal with the issues some of you are reporting.

I do not see the “noticeably slower” response by Tidal. My searches come back immediately.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Slow searches and images aren’t loading

I have only Qobuz. I just did a search for Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello. Both searches took all of 2.5 seconds. The search for Alabama Shakes took 1 second. I have no albums or tracks from these artists in my library.

Oh, I have not restarted my Roon Core in at least a week. My DNS are set to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1. I have a ~10MBit down Internet connection.

1 Like

Hey guys,

I just did a few searches here, and I’m seeing results coming back in a reasonable amount of time, and that’s with both Qobuz and TIDAL logged in on a very large library.

Now, most results are pretty quick but some are taking roughly 2s to return, and that’s definitely slower than we’d like. There is some architectural work happening right now that should speed up searches across the board, but that’s a big project and will take a bit more time.

One of the biggest changes in Roon 1.6 is that our search functionality now depends on our cloud services. Even if I could confidently guarantee that Roon is 100% free of bugs (which sadly I cannot), this change alone would explain why these questions are coming up more often – search is now more susceptible to environmental issues, and the speed or stability of your network and your location relative to our servers is going to be a factor. We’ve investigated a lot of reports, and while haven’t found anything yet, we’ll continue to investigate each issue we hear about.

None of this changes the fact that the overwhelming majority of Roon users are seeing acceptable search performance. I understand that some people are having issues, but the number of reports we’ve seen indicate that most are not.

Also, a number of 1.6 “slowness” reports we’ve looked into ended up not being about search, and came down to other localized factors – for example, under-spec Cores or slower internet connections that are simply having trouble keeping up with high-res Qobuz streams.

While I understand the frustration, these issues may not be as widespread as some are assuming, since there are a number of different changes in 1.6 that can seem like "slowness" when things go wrong.

To be clear, if you think Roon is running slowly, we want to know. The best way for us to help is for support to gather the exact details of what you’re seeing in a support thread, so our team can open up a ticket for the technical team to analyze.

We’re going to split a few of the reports in this thread out so we can gather more information, and as always, thanks for the feedback here everyone.

7 Likes

Does this include local content when you don’t have a streaming service enabled?

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy

Although this thread is moving on quickly, I wanted to acknowledge your reply and will try some of your searches today. I spend my entire working life in this sort of area, either for our company where I try to influence the devs, or with outside suppliers. I guess the main difference from Roon is that we pay a lot more for the latter :slight_smile: but it comes down the same thing. Is the customer experience all we would wish? As others are saying, it is useful to try to provide accurate data.

Roon has been splitting out performance related posts into individual threads and mention they are going to do that again with the posts in this thread. There are probably several reasons why some are reporting persistent issues whilst others have less or intermittent or none. Several of the posters here may not be aware of all these individual threads. I assume roon are looking for patterns and believe there will be different solutions for different cases.

One pattern might be a Qobuz subscription opened in one territory but being used in another. @Vincent_Kennedy has mentioned he opened his Qobuz subscription in the UK but is now in the US.

I have what sounds like identical symptoms. I travel regularly between Denmark and Ireland. I opened my Qobuz subscription in Ireland where I have no performance problems with from memory at least 3 ISP’s. In Denmark however I have very poor performance both on search, metadata updates, album identification and the start of music playback. In both Ireland and Denmark I am using an identical laptop based wifi roon configuration. I don’t have any interest in high rez or DSP in either location.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

1 Like

I too was going to point out that users who have no Tidal or Qobuz accounts should not have searches going through cloud services.

Here it takes from 1 second to 5 (worst case). I want it to go fast always of course, but let’s leave the good people at Roon (and Mike) time to optimize what they can - and potentially assist Tidal and Qobuz optimize their stuff. With local content, Tidal and Qobuz - you are in fact doing 3 searches; you need to aggregate the result and present it as well.

I however think it is important for people to report what they think is slow - that is the only way to improve. But as stated; I think current performance is fine.

A post was split to a new topic: Slow search and overview

A post was split to a new topic: Occasional search slowness

As a counterpoint, I’ve turned off all streaming services and don’t have any search lags across a huge local library, pointing to Roon’s cloud servers for those that stream.

That’s a possible cause, but based on the action you have taken the only reasonable conclusion to make is that it is network related.

Yep same here, turn off streaming no issues. I have no.connection issues to Tidal or Qobuz via other means only via Roon.

What if you only turn one service off?

It sounds like several things are new here. Version 1.6, cloud services, and Qobuz. And I suppose the size of the search base if you add up Qobuz and Tidal…

I thought I was having problems too, when the transition to these combinations took place (I have Tidal and Qobuz), but things seem mostly okay now. Just the occasional hang.