Why is roon so slow?

That’s generally a bad assumption. Download speed to your router is not the same as the bandwidth in your home. As others have said, Roon is resource intensive. If your network and hardware aren’t up to snuff, you will get suboptimal performance. What you are experiencing is not normal and isn’t acceptable performance. But it’s not uncommon for new users to have snags in their systems.

Since you made a decision to buy a non-refundable lifetime membership without giving it a run-through, you have the choice of being really unhappy or fixing the problem. If you want to fix it, Roon Support will be happy to help you work through the problem. I hope you’ll do that. As you’ve seen already, regular Roon users can also pitch in, but we don’t have all the resources the technical people in Support have.

If you just want to vent, you can do that too. The Roon Forum gives users the option to mute ranters so all of that will be invisible to us.

1 Like

Your computer out of date. Please don’t trash lifetime Roon member, trash your computer (just kidding).

2 Likes

Does your Room Core run on a spinning disk? It’s a common problem with symptoms including painfully slow “everything”.

1 Like

Just one comment here: while I encountered no performance issues in the last couple of month, now - with the last update of version 1.7 to build 537 - I do so. I have not changed my infrastructure and not changed any other hardware. However, now I can wait quite a bit when scrolling through my library of 7.000+ albums. Anybody else observing this?

@Kursten_Hogard Roon takes a while to analyse your music files. During that time it will be slow. However, thereafter usually there are no performance issues.

Best
Sven

Thanks for all of your responses.

I’ve built an i7 NUC w/16GB of RAM and things are running much better.

I still believe roon should be more honest about the minimum system requirements for running this product. My former system exceeded the minimum requirements and it simply did not work. The user experience would be exponentially better if the requirements were more accurate.

All the best!

Actually roon should update their material to include “on a supported operating system” which would cut out windows 7.

3 Likes

I have been experiencing the same issues you have described after the update of version 1.7. In addition my PC drops connection to my Roon Core (NUC 8i) very frequently. I’ll try to reach out to Roon support to see if they can assist in any way.

i’ve subscribed since the beginning, so perhaps this has always been a requirement, but it’s a recent discovery for me. Roon pretty much won’t run effectively on a late 2014 mac mini, i5, w/ 8gb ram. i’m assuming it’s the spinning disc. it’s a dedicated roon core, used for nothing else.

I had the exact same machine. Roon ran like ■■■■ on it.

FWIW.

Was that ■■■■ or The ■■■■■ :slight_smile:

1 Like

it effectively destroyed my hard drive, now replaced. i assumed for a long time it was a network or other issue, but i’m certain it’s the spinning disc HD.

what do you run it on now? i’d invest in a NUC if getting it up and running were as straightforward as installing Ropieee. :wink:

Don’t know about that. I still use my Mini for other things, even though I hate the :poop:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4EP1N0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBV3XX/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FRD3SE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Putting together a NUC is cake, but you can always spend more and get it pre-assembled.

I have run Roon on various machines.
From a 14 year old core duo desktop to a brand new I7 desktop and anything in between from laptops, mini pc’s , mac mini etc etc. All performed very well. The thing that make the most difference is the use of an SSD drive. Nomatter how fast your computer, Roon runs like ■■■■ on a spinning disc.

it’s still $600 by the time you’re done. i can get a 250gb SSD for the mini for ~$100. do you think it’s the hardware, or the drive?

You’re asking the wrong person. I despise both the software and the hardware.

OTOH, it’s probably just the HDD, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 2014 Mini i5 was not a very good version of that chip.

1 Like

I have the same late 2014 mac mini, among others. It runs Roon perfectly fine as long as it has an SSD inside. Without SSD it is hopeless.

1 Like

thanks, good to know.

I’ll agree with this. I’ve been running Roon on an elderly 2008 Mac Pro. Switching it to a SSD for the boot volume has made a marked improvement in all functions but especially Roon.

FWIW I run Roon on an i5 Mac mini (SSD)
120k tracks stored an a thunderbolt 3 disk
Also runs Plex for tv and movies (30 ish Tb thunderbolt 2)

Hardly ever breaks into a sweat unless I’m ripping dvd or cd

I like the way Roon is (imo) very “light” in terms of cpu hogging and ram

EDIT: I did find I had to swap virus protection from intego to bitdefender to reduce load