Why is Roon such a pleasure to use?

Great post. I’m a grandad similarly enjoying Roon! I have the additional benefit of Roon running with Qobuz and a ROCK with more than 30,000 tracks.

All my kit is Naim and their app is just about OK. My enjoyment of music would certainly be impacted without Roon.

2 Likes

I have an iPhone 13 that I use periodically for searching and playing music and I don’t seem to have issues with it freezing and such but I will add it’s not a pro if that’s the issue. I don’t use it as my main source for searching though, I usually use it with company over.

For me and my very large library (900K) Roon works great must of the time and when it does give me troubles a simple restart fixes things.

My issues with Roon have to do with how wonderful Roon is when it has robust metadata to work with and how disappointing Roon becomes when it has little or no metadata to work with. Unfortunately most new releases on both Tidal and Qobuz have scant metadata and therefore the magic of Roon disappears. Here a few screen shots as examples.

Robust metadata:

In the above two screenshots Roon is filled with great information and many hyperlinks, which if followed can and will lead to hours of exploration, discovery and enjoyment. Truly magical!

Scant metadata:

The above two screen shots are from a very new release by a trio, which normally means that there are three musicians involved but not to Roon. No information and no hyperlinks to explore and nothing to discover. No joy and certainly no magic.

Yes I know that people will reply that the metadata doesn’t come from Roon and I fully understand that but nonetheless the lack of metadata in many, many new releases from Tidal and Qobuz is a problem and adversely impacts one’s enjoyment of Roon. Without robust metadata one could just as easily dispense with Roon altogether and just use the native music service app to select and listen to music. Robust metadata is what makes Roon magical. Poor metadata means no magic.

1 Like

Evidently Roon is a pleasure to use for me. I use it for my whole collection of digitised CD’s only, as this is already so extensive that I will probably not reach the old age to hear them all again once, let alone twice. So I refrained a bit from the Qobuz or Tidal collections which go on indefinitely …
Roon does a good job with my CD’s although to nitpick there are always some cases in the classical genre I hear mostly. Particular is I have in my head that I have for instance five versions of the same work - say Stravinsky Rite of Spring - Roon gives a lower number, no idea why the missing ones are not included as they are there. Probably not recognised. Mysteries remain, so I do with a mix of Roon and my own recollection, what is probably not bad for me as it is some brain training …

1 Like

Welcome to the Roon community. I’m glad you enjoy Roon. I tried Roon for one week and before the end of the second week I was already in the yearly subscription plan then before the end of the first month, I was Roon Lifetime subscriber. I can’t imagine myself listening to music without Roon :slight_smile:

Regarding iOS devices been slow? I’m a Mac/iOS guy. I have an iPad Air 2020, iPad mini 5 and iPad mini 6 plus iPhone 12 Pro. All my iOS devices run latest iOS and none of them have a single issue with Roon. Same experience with my 27” iMac and MacBook Pro both running macOS Big Sur. Pretty sure those having issues are due network or core problems. My Roon core is running in a ROCK NUC 10i7FNHN.

3 Likes

I don’t have any problems with any apple devices because I don’t have any. As an early adopter of Roon I have been enjoying it via various windows machines and Android phones for years. The lifetime licence was the best investment in my music system I’ve ever made. Love it.

1 Like

Zero issues

3 Likes

I can’t find better words to express my own feelings

Agree here with most other fellow Apple users- no problems running Roon. I run Roon using a 2016 MacBook as my core running Amphetamine app to avoid inadvertent restarts and have stopped all automatic updates. My main streamer is a 2016- era SONORE MicroRendu connecting to an IFi micro IDSD -or- a Hiby R8. I mostly use the Roon app on my MacBook Pro all on the same network and have had zero problems streaming anything. My digital library is limited (~2000 tracks) and I am a TIDAL user (not yet Qobuz- soon maybe). I love that I can access my TIDAL playlists in Roon though I mostly manage them in TIDAL. Everything is hard-wired to my Google WifI mesh network wifi points - which works without a hitch

My main motivation is the PEQ DSP. I have set up different profiles for all my IEMS and HPs, and love the option to use DoP to upsample my tracks. Roon also works fine for my native DSD files too.

Adding a Bluesound Node to the mix at Christmas and looking forward to learn how to stream the same tracks thru different Endpoints or different tracks to different Endpoints - any advice on that score anyone?

1 Like

I can only agree: the way you can exploit metadata through roon and qobuz is very powerful , especially for classical music where you need to distinguish composer, composition, orchester, soloist, record,…

1 Like

What constitutes a very simple system? I might want me one of them.

A Google Home Mini comes close. Streamer, DAC, amp, and speaker, all in one very inexpensive package.

Sounds like you’re using it the way the Roon Labs guys designed it for!

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the music!

1 Like

Mostly the fact that I don’t have my own library involved. All of that is still on vinyl/CD, so I’m just streaming Qobuz. The Core is on an old laptop, remotes are PC/MAC desktops, an Android phone and an Android tablet. I stream to two Chromecast Audio pucks.

2 Likes