Why it's so important to be able to edit/write additional Bio's and Reviews

Yeah requested this almost 2 years ago:

Am keen to be able to edit reviews, and add further reviews, either my own or from other sources.

1 Like

Yes. I was a bit naughty, I almost replied off the back of your old request, but thought a new thread might excite more response :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: I’m always keen to keep requests together as then the numbers build up - but what I end up doing is linking them together like this!

1 Like

A workaround I have used, adding relevant text but not removing the existing review:

I liked a review I found on Amazon, copied-and-pasted it into an editor (Notepad, Word, whatever formatting you want) and printed it to a PDF (Windows function), and moved PDF to the Roon library folder. Reading a PDF is not well integrated in Roon, not like the review, but usable.

EDIT: But this PDF doesn’t replace the review and therefore doesn’t show in the Sharing image. The OP is right.

However, @Mike, a found a bug: I first selected the relevant text on the Amazon page and printed, but I was careless and the browser printed the entire Amazon page, so the PDF contained stuff I didn’t want. I then copied and printed from another app and copied over, but Roon didn’t see the update. Bug-ish, but ok. So I deleted that PDF, and copied the new one under a different name. The old one still shows - ok, Roon copied it into the database, perhaps? But it didn’t see the new one at all, even though it has a new name. Need some management functions…

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought of this too, Anders. Or also to write the text and make a screen dump to JPG or screen dump text found on websites, etc. But Roon can do a lot better, I am sure :slight_smile:

I have a lot of music that has no reviews at all and I can’t even imagine how hard it is to keep on top of the volume of new music & old not in the Roon’s review library section. I’ve seen many good independent reviews on albums I have and would like to be able to add them in to my library myself giving credit to the source. Roon could then vet to see if they wanted it to be made public. A bit like Wikipedia but with the control of public release up to Roon and/or user/me that added it. I would have a review in my library for my benefit especially on albums that may not ever get reviewed in Room. If there was a Roon review that I didn’t find appropriate I could hide it in preference. For my own review and/or online review or you could set one out of several reviews saved as primary and toggle though to read others & Roon’s.

7 Likes

Pierre

I think all the reviews of albums I have seen in Roon are directly taken from Allmusic.com - I am not sure if they have an agreement or not in this regard. I like your idea of having the option of Roon deciding whether our locally added content becomes public; and this should go both ways if we add local/edited content then we should have the right to share it or not. It would be a great step forward in my opinion. So much potential!!

2 Likes

The ONLY thing I don’t like about Roon is the album “reviews” from AllMusic. Again, I don’t care to see a negative review of music I love by someone I don’t know and who probably doesn’t even like the genre in question. Instead of album reviews, I would love to see the details behind the album, maybe old school liner notes, etc. That being said, I realize Roon can’t hire thousands of people to start writing all this…but wait…Roon has thousands (I assume) of customers, many of which would love to write their thoughts on their favorite music for free! I would certainly do my part! This would really take Roon beyond an advanced music playback system to something much better, and kind of what the promise of Roon is: a more immersive music experience. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, opening up the metadata to the masses could also be a BIG MESS if people, well, act like people seem to online (ie YouTube commenters). It really would require some monitoring.

7 Likes

Agree.

I think some sort of optional community sharing of our own thoughts and comments on albums and artists would be an incredible step forward. Connecting on a peer-peer basis like face book, ie with our “friends within Roon” on an album to album or artist to artist basis. How cool would that be?

That would overcome the issue you mention of opening up personal metadate to the masses; micro-communities would evolve through the love of our fave albums and artists.

7 Likes

There is an up and coming company TuneMap supplying Liner notes, Photography and a whole lot more on artists. I have posted this in another topic post.

This may not be the answer to us being able to edit & customise Bio’s & Reviews but it could be used under license by Roon and this may be a more complete solution for mainstream or well known music & artists but when coupled with “Editable Bio’s & Reviews” which would be for the lesser known and obscure Artists & Music would be nirvana and solidly builds what Roon bio’s & review part of the app started.

5 Likes

Completely agree with this. I would love nothing more than to read MY OWN metadata for the music in my library. How difficult would it be to have an xml formatted text file in the directory of an album that gets read along with the tracks? How cool would it be to share that with other users?

1 Like

As this topic seems to be getting bumped… bump!

Actually, it’s the main reason why i hesitate so much to renew my subscription with Roon. I really would like to be able to choose my own reviews rather than be forced to read those terrible AMG reviews…

1 Like

I would suggest that having the possibility of multiple reviews, whether user generated or licensed from a different source, would be a vast improvement. If there were more than one, the annoying reviews would feel more like opinion, on review among others, than it would fee like my playback software telling me a favorite album sucks.

I still get peeved every time I read the review for PIL, Album.

2 Likes

Simply the ability to copy and paste stuff from the internet or write our own notes, replacing what is already supplied or appending to it would be wonderful, and simple to implement, imho.

4 Likes

Especially if we could embed links like the bio info has in it.

2 Likes

Another request right here! This would be an incredibly fun feature!

2 Likes

+1 sounds like fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has there been any “official” reply from Roon on this feature request?

1 Like

+1 and a (hopefully) friendly amendment. On the Performances page, add either hearting or rating of performances. More granular than hearting the composition, this new feature would allow recording at least summary judgement about a particular performance.

1 Like