Why MQA is bad and Roon (shouldn't bother) (shouldn't be bothering) shouldn't have bothered with it :)

Yes, I’m not confusing them.
I’m asking, why is a high performance characteristic detrimental for slower performance situations?

I wish hadn’t brought up slew rate.
It’s my unfortunate habit to make analogies.

I believe why MQA is still surviving is because of Tidal streaming. If Tidal will ever go away, this spell the end of it. Even internet radio FLAC-OGG is now streaming Hi-Res up to 192k and I enjoy every bit Roon has to offer.

Nope, you are missing my point, it’s all about matching the right impulse response to music contents.

I’m asking why? What’s the reasoning?
Have never heard that.

2 Likes

Technically, for correct waveform reconstruction, the impulse is supposed to be infinite – the pre and post ringing go on forever – because any signal of finite bandwidth exists for infinite time. That is why a shortened, minimum phase or apodizing impulse may be “incorrect.”

AJ

1 Like

Is this IAR article your source for that claim?
Looks like a crock to me.

I admit that I didn’t read the whole thing — life’s too short to indulge people who claim they are the only people who understand and an entire industry is based on incorrect thinking. I had a friend who, with equal conviction and verbosity, explained that all of physics is wrong. That style is not how you write a serious paper.

As to the central claim: it seems to be that if the response is shorter than the intersample interval, the system can’t reconstruct the signal at all, that it would drop to zero 44,100 times per second? The MQA paper seems to explicitly address this. And I think the digital engineering experts on this forum would fall down laughing.

(Caveat: I am no audio filter engineer, the MQA paper in all its detail is difficult.)

I fall back on the bedrock principle that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

5 Likes