Why Roon is fabulous, with or without Tidal

I’m glad my original post elicited so many comments. My use of the word “fabulous” undoubtedly contributed to that. Even if that is a little over the top, I really do appreciate the bios and information about artists and albums, and none of the other streaming services have anything close. As well as the lyrics, and other features. I enjoy these features everyday, and that basic point appeared to be lacking in the long thread about Tidal. But clearly there are some legitimate criticisms of Roon, so maybe I should have said “almost fabulous.”

And in some areas, as many have noted, the record of fixing problems is not only less than fabulous, it is abysmal.

To add to some of the other posts:

I strongly agree that this feature – the ability to look at your listening history and make recommendations just for you, that match your personal tastes – is of critical importance, and I should have mentioned it in my original post. Also curated playlists. (Tidal has some curated playlists.)

Tidal falls down in the this regard, and Roon is even worse. Someone mentioned using Roon “focus” for this, but that doesn’t appear to be quite what it is for.

To repeat an earlier question, I’ve heard that Apple Music is even better in this regard – offering recommendations for you that match what you’re listening to – than is Spotify. Does anyone have any personal experience on that, one way or the other?

In light of how many depend on Tidal, it would be nice if Roon fully integrated the features of Tidal. Then Roon can truly be “one stop shopping.” That is not the case today.

In the area of music recommendations, Tidal is superior, as it offers “classic” or “essential” albums in most genres, as well as playlists that are “guest curated” and “essentials.” (I discussed in my original post why the Tidal Collections offered by Roon are not the the same thing.)

Roon does offer “exclusive” playlists, and that appears to be what Tidal calls “featured” playlists.

But the separate playlists, as well as the lists of “classic” or “essential” albums that are found under each genre are missing. That is a critical omission on the part of Roon.

Can Roon do a better job of duplicating Tidal so all of it is under one roof, so to speak?

On lyrics – I found a thread on lyrics in the “suggestions” forum and added my viewpoint there. However, in that thread I also noted that iRoon promised to add that specific improvement to lyrics, or something similar, and made that promise in January 2016. Almost two years have passed, and nothing has happened. However, to give credit where credit is due, my posting from today was responded to the same day, although the response was a bit unclear in terms of whether the change can be made, and if not, why not.

Agreed. Although I often have transport failures and the system collapses when playing through my Sonos system. That does not happen when using Sonos to play through their own system. Sonos can handle their own system just fine and 100% of the time. 20% of the time I have transport failure problems with Sonos using the same system. I need to email Roon tech support, and in their defense I haven’t done that yet, but first want to narrow it down as to whether it is a bad ethernet connector, etc. But one thing is clear – Sonos will play through my system consistently, when Roon will not.

Again, less than fabulous.

My own experience is the opposite. I’m not an expert on tagging, and J River does not show my boxed sets as boxed sets and probably due to some small error in how I tagged them. Roon, by contrast, consistently shows my boxed sets, despite any possible tagging errors on my part.

I’d assume that Roon could fix this for you and others. Why haven’t they?

I completely agree, and made that point in my original post. It is the bios of new artists and new albums – that are not in my library - that are the most interesting for me. So if Tidal goes under, we all agree that Roon must join forces with another streaming service, Preferably Deezer, if only because it is already FLAC quality. But they do need to integrate with someone if Tidal should fail.

In conclusion, I still really love using Roon. It offers many features lacking in J River, and I am not away of any software or app to play our libraries with these features. I make use of the bios and info on artists everyday, and Roon allows me to listen through my whole house (when it doesn’t collapse and fail with my Sonos system), while showing me what is playing on different iPads in different rooms.

All of that is pretty awesome. Maybe not quite fabulous – but definitely the best that there is.

Pretty much with you on this Jeff. I flip flop between Tidal and Qobuz. I have a large HD collection so I just don’t use Tidal enough. Whenever I get annoyed with the streaming inconsitency with Tidal I go to Qobuz. Having said that I do enjoy the integration with Roon that Tidal has and there are noticeably more titles missing (of relevance to me) from Qobuz.

Im really trying now to develop a “new titles” policy with Tidal. Will see how it goes. I’m pretty ambivalent about Tidal. If it went belly up tomorrow no problem to me.

Haha, yes there are some features in Roon which, well, just don’t work. Focus on similar is a joke.

Its comedic…

Neil Young Harvest - Ozzy Osborne Bark at The Moon
Cap’n Beefheart Trout Mask Replica - Adele 25
Antony and the Johnsons I Am Bird Now - Dropkick Murphys Do or Die

Hmmm… needs a slight tidy up for sure :slight_smile:

And that BIG Focus on Similar button just beckons to be used, but it’s all but useless, lol.

5 Likes

… Tidal really is about the only reason I have Roon - as it´s supposed to replace future investments in CDs/Redbook. My basic intention is/was:

I primarily collect and play Vinyl (which to me also sounds superior).

I bought CDs till now if there is/was no decent Vinyl release.

I then decided to stop buying CDs and subscribe to Tidal for future releases (and to get to know new stuff) - I will still buy the Vinyl if available, otherwise I will catalogue future releases via Roon and play from Tidal.

As I see know advantage in SQ from ripped CDs played from NAS and I already have an excellent CD Transport all existing media is played from CDP/Vinyl.

All future releases will be bought on Vinyl or otherwise played from Tidal/Roon.

Should Tidal shut down, Roon would be of no use to me.

AND YES - I really enjoy building a new collection using Roon and Tidal - so it would be a real bummer !!!

Not to say a lot of lost money invested (minimum 30USD/month = 360 USD/year = 3.600 USD in ten years… u could buy a LOT of great physical media for this money and have the guarantee it will stay a lifetime as it`s actually yours - if Tidal closes or Roon for some reason does not survive long enough - all is gone).

Couldn’t care less about Tidal: I’m not interested in having a “library” that could vanish overnight. I subscribed to Roon in order that it could handle my 2,200 classical albums and stream them to my Meridian system. It does a great job of that and I have nothing but praise for Roon and the developers who created it.

3 Likes

Yes, it should just be removed for now and it’s poor performance has been flagged many times since launch. Had the potential to be awesome, but for Mr it just shows half my library. Pretty useless.

Unfortunately it really highlights the disinterest within Roon to adress ergonomics/UX and the ongoing persistence in pursuing hardware partnerships over investment in content and UI.

2 Likes

:joy:, yes, I hope they will fix it someday!

Oooh, Prefab Sprout, I have it on vinyl (Steve McQueen) and remember it where I bought it on a Saturday afternoon, must be somewhere in 1985 with some friends. Where are the days going?:sleepy:

Just played Faron Young, Radio continued with Style Council, Tears for Fears & The Smiths, not bad at all!

Yeah! The Radio’s good.

Love a bit of PS since the early 90’s.

Smiths is new to me (just beginning to delve into the treasures there some 30 years too late, haha). Somehow it was not PC to like them in our group in the mid-80’s. We were very “Rock!”. Mention the Smiths and you’d get glassed :slight_smile:

I’d imagine they’re all different skillets and with different business goals in mind, but I hope Roon do get round to tidying up a lot of the UI where it’s getting a bit messy, inconsistent and has errors that need fixing. And if buttons don’t work and there’s no resource to fix them, remove them maybe?

For me Roon would be far more powerful if it just recommended me new music, let me know when new albums were out by people I like, collated playlists for me etc. The linked metadata was really nice at first, as were the ‘followed by’ ‘similar to’ buttons for finding new music. But it was slow, took a lot of work and didn’t include unlinked Tidal and didn’t focus on albums - which kind of misses the point.

I rarely use that side now but Roon is still no.1 for me but mostly for multi-room, convolution and PEQ, via a nice (if not perfect) interface.

Good call on the recommendations side of things. T’would be really nice to know when new albums are brought out by favourite artists. And to go “off the reservation” with similar to stuff into uncharted Tidal waters, would be good also! I’m more than happy with what I have with Roon, but, like you I do feel there’s so much more potential.

I’m really fond of the tagging and bookmarking systems, for making portable collections especially, I can specify different output folders for differently tagged favourited stuff (eg good rock, good jazz, classical, party, etc) and then combine the folders on the portable device for different uses.

I’ve also recently gone multiroom myself also with living room and kitchen options, and also a long RJ45 connection for outdoor use.

Kudos to Roon there!

I am very confident that will be improved in the near future.

Well, I was a bit of both… and over the years my taste has broadened.
At that time I would not think of playing The Beatles, but this afternoon I will.
Never saw carpool karaoke, but my wife just “forced” me to watch the episode with Paul McCartney.

One word: Fabulous.

4 Likes

Hello @Paulb

Thank you very very much for this YouTube link. It was just awesome. Wish I could give it a dozen likes to the post.

You are so correct: Fabulous.

–MD

1 Like

Put me in the camp where I 100% want Tidal integration with Roon. If it isn’t Tidal it needs to be something else in my opinion. Having a streaming service allows me to find/discover music I don’t own.

5 Likes

I think the lesson here kind of comes down to “different people use Roon in different ways.” :slight_smile:

When I signed up for Roon, I already had a Tidal subscription, IIRC, that I was using with Audirvana. What got me to go for Roon was originally the dazzling UX: the Discover tab, the artist information, and the client-server model. It’s still a better UX than any other “audiophile” player that I’ve come across.

But I’m not someone with 10,000 albums in their personal collection. I’m someone with… 400 albums, maybe? 450? Before I was a Tidal subscriber, I’d become an Apple Music subscriber, and while it had a rocky start, I really like it now for both music discovery and “deep dives” into artists. I didn’t use Spotify enough to make a comparison to it, but Apple’s curated playlists mop the floor with Tidal’s. Apple has good “genre radio stations” (something I don’t think Tidal does at all) and its algorithmic “create from this artist or song” stations are, again, worlds ahead of Tidal—and, so far, worlds ahead of Roon’s equivalent, too, since Roon can’t draw from Tidal even if you’re a subscriber, but only from your own library.

And that last line leaves me sort of replacing the word fabulous in the subject with okay, I guess, because Roon’s inability to look at anything past your library even if you’re a Tidal subscriber…well, again, I’m sure if I had 10,000 albums in my personal collection, I wouldn’t notice this. But even the 650 albums I have now, ~200 or so on Tidal, is too small a sample to keep that Discover tab from telling me the same things over and over and over.

Anyway, I get why some people don’t think Tidal integration is the killer feature—and I get why other people do. I suspect it’s directly related to how big your personal music library is, and how much you rely on streaming. For my part, I’m still wrestling with this.

1 Like

Agree 100%

4 Likes

One of the main themes of the posts in this thread is the failure of Roon to recommend other artists and music based on a subscriber’s own listening preferences, which is a significant shortcoming for this type of application.

I suppose the most damning observation I can offer is that the comments of Watts Martin have persuaded me to subscribe to Apple Music to check out its ability to recommend music based on my own listening trends and preferences, since Roon completely fails in that regard, and Tidal is very weak by comparison to Apple Music and Spotify based on reports in this thread.

I ignore the “Focus on Similar” button because it is so utterly useless. When I tried it again after reading the post from Sallah, I got the same results, namely that it recommends a large number of dissimilar albums.

The designers of Roon should have fixed this obvious shortcoming years ago, or lacking that, just removed the button and admitted that they simply lack that functionality. (This is compounded by the failure of Roon to fully integrate all of the features of Tidal, for those other features at least offer additional music playlists and albums based on the genres we listen to.)

Roon will be truly fabulous when the “Focus on Similar” button and Discovery works, not only for our own libraries, but FULLY integrated within Tidal. Even if the Focus on Similar button actually worked within our own libraries – which it doesn’t – who cares? Do we really need Roon to tell us what is similar within our own personal libraries? That button has to recommend artists that are NOT in our own libraries and based on the albums we listen to. That is the point made by Watts Martin about Apple Music, and by Ian Slater with reference to Spotify.

So as the author of the first post in this thread with the title “fabulous,” I would now have to modify it to say that Roon has the POTENTIAL to be fabulous if it addressed this key shortcoming. The responses to my original posting have persuaded me that Roon has not yet met that standard, even though I still really love the the biographies of artists, the information on albums, lyrics, the audio capabilities, the streamlined interface, and the rich metadata and genres. (Roon has also stated in another thread that lyrics will be improved to work in real time with the music.)

I hope that the designers of Roon can fix this one major shortcoming. And in the meantime, keep or improve upon the many other features which make Roon a very good application for music lovers.

And I hope that Roon has a backup plan to integrate a different streaming service if Tidal ceases to exist.

Roon, whatever you do, please don’t emasculate the biographies and info on albums the way that Tidal has! The fact that Tidal now copies its information from TiVo is absurd.

2 Likes

I have a huge personal library, so, ROON is the best for me. Tidal is a just a nice bonus.

For me integrated streaming service is a huge part of Roon. I would be very sad if there wasn’t any streaming option left.

I’m a lifetime subscriber so won’t be going anywhere though…

1 Like

I’m with you on this.

1 Like