Why Roon Rock OS can't support HDD Raid larger than 24TB?

My Roon Core Machine:

Intel NUC10 i7
4G*2 RAM
256G SSD
Roon Optimized Core Kit

I tried to connect Roon Core(Intel NUC10) with a 24TB HDD Raid (WD DUO), which can be recognized normally.

When I connect another 82tb HDD Raid, the Roon Optimized Core Kit will recognize the music that is less than 24TB at the beginning. However, the Roon Optimized Core Kit will no longer recognize the music that is more and more music that exceeds 24TB.

Both my HDD Raid are NTFS format. Because exFAT takes up too much disk space, I didn’t use it.

Why Roon Optimized Core Kit does not Provide greater HDD Compatibility?

400000 users, one with that size of disks (potentially). Probably not envisaged that anyone would need that much storage

Why not accommodate a larger hard drive? This is the user’s demand, I am a lifetime member, since pay, should meet the reasonable needs of the user.

You don’t say how many tracks you have but with that much storage full of music you will need much more than 8GB of RAM… probably.

1 Like

I have 53000+ albums stored in a 82T Hard Disk Raid, but this is obviously not a memory problem, but Roon Rock system NTFS file system format support problem, I switch to Roon on Windows10 can recognize 82T Hard Disk Raid, but it is very inconvenient to use Roon on Windows.

@Anthony_B was referring to the recommended memory to run that large a library. 8gb is not recommended…
I can’t see roon making any changes to exceed the current disk capacity as you are probably one of a handful of people running such a huge library.

I would be shocked if there are many other users with close to 53000+ albums TBH.
However you have posted in the right place, let’s see what Roon has to say on this matter.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

2 Likes

Few operating systems support as many file system types as Linux. Hard disk manufacturers concentrate their solutions on the distribution of the operating systems. Who dominates the desktop market is well known. So it is not surprising that hard disks are delivered in NTFS.

Who does not want to be pushed into this narrow world, can read itself e.g. in the chapter 23 of the standard work for Linux smartly. Mr. Kofler explains how everything is connected and what the experienced user can improve himself and which restrictions apply where due to the system. Several sections give tips and hints on using the ext3, ext4, btrfs, xfs, vfat and ntfs file systems. He also goes into the basics of RAID and then describes how to set up a RAID 0 system.

Of course Roon can’t provide training for all operating systems here, but technical literature and also this community already shows many solutions and also limits. One important limit is mentioned here. It is a technical contradiction to connect a very small main memory with an extreme volume of external memory.

Without having delved very deeply into this problem now, I would agree with the previous speakers. If you format or buy NTFS, you should not expect that slim and specialized Nucleus systems or the self-made Roon rock can be used without limits. Each system has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages and is not automatically aimed at dinosaurs with very large collections.

So here the question to the community would be, which system should I use under my circumstances. The album count implies that NUC or Nucleus is no longer widely accepted as a recommendation. Linux and Windows, however, basically do not cause problems if the system is designed strong enough.

I encourage all dinosaurs with large collections, Linux basically works with NTFS.

This Roon system runs on a Linux Manjaro (Arch) and is mainly fed from external NTFS drives. For cost reasons and problems I have read about this, I don’t use a RAID system (yet). I have more than 24 TB NTFS under Linux / Roon as external HDD productive. I have also managed to do this under Windows 10. No unit exceeds 12 TB. I think I can connect up to 10 x 24 TB like this.

If everything is to remain performant in the end, the further expansion in the direction of 10 x 24 TB is not a good idea. Collecting and listening can also fall apart. So multiple collections, systems and Roon listening rooms.

With that large a library you’ve got to be the curator of the music media section of…

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

I would love to have a SoundCloud with 1 billion music tracks and an AI that makes an automatic million love out of my 60,000 or so favorite songs. Unfortunately, I’m too old to experience this, but Roon is currently doing the best job on this actually impossible path. Who tries and risks a lot, gets of course also neck blows, back blows and unfortunately also lines in the program code, which are not the solution in every situation.

If you go into raid etc it would probably make more sense to run a NAS that supports SSDs and HDDs at the same time. That way the SSDs get used as read/write buffer.

If you just connect multiple TB drives via usb you will just create another bottleneck.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.