Why won't Roon identify an album when Rovi does?

If I just go into “None of these seem to fit” and enter the artist and album name by which Rovi knows the album, why won’t we find it? If I search that way, inconsistencies in the RIP won’t have an effect, I think.

The example:
Artist is Horacio Lavandera
Album is “Dino Saluzzi: Imagenes”

(Saluzzi is the composer)

I don’t think inconsistencies in the rip should come into play when text-searching in “wrong album”, so I’m not sure. @jeremiah might be able to comment better on the specifics.

Also, if you like Dino Saluzzi, this is well worth a listen. It’s subtle and requires some focus, but very well put together.

@brian Ojos Negros is great. Both Dino Saluzzi and Anja Lechner are high on my favorites list. Lechner in particular does so much different stuff, with Anouar Brahem, Vassilis Tsabrapolous, Francois Couturier…

In fact, those five names are a prime example of my desire for ad hoc graph navigation and serendipitous discovery. A long time ago, I bought an album with Arild Andersen whom I knew and Vassilis Tsabrapolous, whom I’d never heard of. I liked VT and got more music by him, and then I noticed Lechner. So I looked at Credits and found Lechner on some Brahem albums, and acquired more by Lechner, and found Patricia Kopatchinskaja and Tigran Mansurian and indirectly Kim Kashkashian. So given how my interest and focus has evolved, under what name would I archive these various albums? Arild Andersen or Vassilis Tsabrapolous? VT or Anja Lechner? Brahem or Lechner? Saluzzi or Lechner? It’s impossible, the whole concept of a main album artist is bankrupt.

/rant – that belongs to another discussino

1 Like

@brian is right. The results on the “Manually search for your album” screen of “wrong album” are based only on what you enter into the artist and album text entries – the results aren’t filtered based on your files in any way.

@brian @jeremiah what I thought. So my question stands: since Allmusic (Rovi) finds this album, how come it doesn’t show up when I do the same search in Roon? Same text?

The Rovi data is incomplete: in particular, it has no information about the tracks. Without at least track titles, the data is considered unusable by our system.

I’ll file a report with Rovi asking that the data for this album be fleshed out.

@jeremiah I’m sorry, I didn’t notice that, should have looked more carefully.

No worries! Hopefully Rovi will update the album soon.

[quote=“jeremiah, post:6, topic:2167”]
The Rovi data is incomplete: in particular, it has no information about the tracks. Without at least track titles, the data is considered unusable by our system.
[/quote] Unfortunately, this means that useful genre information is not available (in the scenario that the user is given the option to manually select such an album).